• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice For My New Baby Blue and Gold Macaw

AntoBanto

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Antoinette
Hi there!

My B&G baby is 7 weeks now. He comes with me to work and is obviously still being handreared..

I just wanted to know if/when can you start introducing fruits and veggies to their diet? I have read on a few places that says from 8 weeks... Any tips on this please??

Then he also comes to work with me, at what age can I start introducing him to a cage?

Thank you :excited2::excited1::bliss:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Food is toys at this age but you can introduce anything he is willing to touch.

Just be careful moving him place to place when he is this young. They pick up everything at this age.

You will know when it's time for a cage. Just have one ready before that time comes.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine came to me at 5 weeks.
I don't remember offering solids that young, but go with what Sarah says, my memory has holes.
I know when I did offer them, few if any got eaten for quite some time, most just mouthed, tossed around, and he made a holey mess. Be careful with sizing, I had a cooked sweet potato cube cut wrong, it almost got stuck.

Cage time is when he's fully feathered, climbing and perching well. When he it's hard to impossible to keep him from climbing out of his tub, probably ready for a cage. He may not sleep well at first, I think I let mine sleep in his old area for a while. Mine went from tub, to a large dog crate before a big cage. Chaos was climbing out of the tub, but I was afraid to let him alone in that huge cage while working (worried macaw momma), so used one of my large dog crates for short time in-between.

Have any photos?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Depending on the cage, you may be able to raise the grate in the bottom, so he doesn't have far to fall if he loses his balance. You'll feel better about leaving him there without supervision as well. And I made a sort of platform, combining the perch, a parrot ladder and a thick towel for sleeping in the cage. The dog crate idea is excellent though, and will be a good skill for when you need to take him somewhere in the car later in life (like the vet!). For food transition, I offered pretty small things to start with - the size of peas. Mine really like pomegranates when she was starting to eat on her own - if I sprinkled some on top of a new food, she'd be more pretty willing to check it out. Good luck with him - macaws make wonderful friends!