• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for moving birds to new room and sleeping cage

HarrietGC

Moving in
I’m planning to move our two green cheek conures from a smaller room to a larger one permanently, as well as change their sleeping cage.

I just wanted to get some feedback from the community about the best way to transition them to these changes. They’re not necessarily hand tame (will step up for treats but that’s it) so they’re probably a bit more skittish than tamer parrots(?).

They’re familiar with the room we’re moving them too so we’re not too worried about them settling into the space, it’s more about them going to sleep and waking up in an environment they’re not used to being in in the morning or at night.

I’m planning on moving them into the new room with their original sleeping cage and letting them sleep in it for a week or two whilst they get used to the environment. Then I’ll let them sleep in their new cage after that.

If anyone can share any advice or has any other that would be great!

Ava-Mayo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ava
I’d be very cautious! I’m not really sure this will help but, my cockatiel had gotten extremely aggressive when all I had done was move my bed. It took probably 2 weeks before he started to get back to normal, he was distant and it was like he was back to the way from when I first got him. The thing I kept doing was maintaining my regular schedule with him and basically started from square 1. I made sure he was still comfortable around me and when I did I knew he was going to be fine. Take it slowly and just be aware your conures may be aggressive like my tiel. You’ve got a great idea to keep there cage the way it is and letting them get used to the room though. Maybe try constantly giving them treats? My bird loves oats and millet lol

HarrietGC

Moving in
I’d be very cautious! I’m not really sure this will help but, my cockatiel had gotten extremely aggressive when all I had done was move my bed. It took probably 2 weeks before he started to get back to normal, he was distant and it was like he was back to the way from when I first got him. The thing I kept doing was maintaining my regular schedule with him and basically started from square 1. I made sure he was still comfortable around me and when I did I knew he was going to be fine. Take it slowly and just be aware your conures may be aggressive like my tiel. You’ve got a great idea to keep there cage the way it is and letting them get used to the room though. Maybe try constantly giving them treats? My bird loves oats and millet lol
Thank you for your response Ava-Mayo!

And thanks for the warning, I will try to be cautious! It still surprises me how sensitive they can be sometimes, yet utterly resilient at other times! It must have been a huge surprise that even moving the bed was such a big deal for your cockatiel. One of my conures hates bright colours on clothing which means I can’t wear my favourite t-shirts in front of them and have to change when leaving the house. Love their silly quirks though!

I’m nervous about the move but will cram feel good food down their beaks when they’re extra anxious! :)

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
Most birds aren’t too sensitive, especially conures. They should adapt quickly (I would say around a week) because they already are familiar with the place. In my experience, it shouldn’t be an issue. If they respond aggressively then give them some time, so they don’t perceive you as a threat

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am always surprised how my birds seem to adapt well to big things that I think will stress them out and then they have a melt down over the little things. LOL. I would definitely let them spend some time in their new cage during daylight and let them explore and familiarize themselves with it before having them sleep in it.

Reactions: tka

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
Ya it is really weird how birds might be scared of something literally harmless to them and the little changes annoy them just as much