• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for cleaning poop off toys?

mangomango

Checking out the neighborhood
This branch in particular has some tiny poop bits i couldnt wipe off left on it. (White specks in image.)

Is this a health concern?

Any advice for cleaning this kind of branch?

Thanks! My bird appreciates it
20200702_193155.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I soak an old rag for poopy perches, leave it lie there a bit, then take my wire brush and scrub once it's softened.
This is for perches I don't want to drag out of the cage.
Toys usually will get sprayed, or even tossed in the sink.
They may loose their color if wood, but it softens the poop enough for me to scrub them clean.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Washing with vinegar instead of soap works for me. I use a spray bottle to spray white vinegar on the perch and leave it for a while to make the poop softer so I can wipe it off.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry to be the one to mention this, but I see you have dowel perches. This can cause problems for the birds and their feet. May I suggest swapping them for natural branches from bird safe trees?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush that is only for Burt's pooped on objects. Once the hot soapy scrub has removed the poop I rinse really well in hot water and then sun dry.

Dowels are not a problem unless they are the only perch offered or the perch where the bird spends most of it's time. Variety is the key to healthy birdie toes and feet ;) I see a rope and a natural perch in the cage along with the dowel perch.