• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for choosing the right bird for me

ANS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amber
I am sure there are questions like this all the time and I searched thru several threads (and lots of google searches) to avoid posting another what kind of bird should I get question but I also realize everyone’s situations are different and thought if I gave more specific information about my family, lifestyle, and what I’m looking for in a pet bird maybe I could get clearer advice. I also want to say that I have read a lot of articles and a thread here about the big negatives of bird ownership and it’s not something I plan to jump into blindly and any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
First, I am a stay at home mom with three girls 7, 8, and 10. I am home nearly everyday, all day and will have plenty of time to socialize with my bird and allow it time out of the cage. Inside we have a small dachshund and cat, outside we have 5 goats, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 geese, 8 ducks, and around 20+ chickens.
First question being is it safe for me to bring a pet bird home if I have a flock of birds outside? I wasn’t sure if there were diseases that could be passed from one to another from me being outside with my animals and then coming inside with my bird?
During the summer my kids do play softball and sometimes we travel or are out late on weekends for games or practice but someone will still normally be home during the day if the games aren’t out of town. I have wanted a parrot of some type since I was a kid and have been discussing it with my fiancé. I just can’t figure out what kind of bird would be best for our family.
I know every animal is different and personalities are not guaranteed because of a specific breed. But in general I would love to find something that isn’t super aggressive or mean. A breed that is better known to bond well with their families and enjoys interacting with people vs not wanting to be handled or messed with much. I’m kind of hoping for a house buddy that would want to hang out with me during the day when everyone is gone and to follow me around the house while we do chores ‍♀. And I don’t want to be this person but I really want something that is known to talk and fun to train. I know that no matter what kind of bird we choose that it isn’t guaranteed to talk but I would like to know that it is a possibility. (I would love it regardless). From my research I have pretty much decided that a cockatoo would probably not be right for me and although I love how intelligent African grays are, I read that they are not the best for beginners? I keep looking at parrotlets but the small size worries me in our busy house.
Also, if we do decide to commit to adding another feathered friend to our family would it be better to get one while it is still very young or would you recommend a more mature bird? Any advice or tips or experiences anyone wants to share would help me out so much! Even if you tell me that a bird would be completely wrong for me, I will appreciate the honesty. I just don’t want to get into a situation where the bird and I hate each other or are miserable because I didn’t do the right research before making a decision. I’m known to jump into things spur of the moment and I’m trying hard to do better

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you ever had a parrot or been around one? Just curious.

ANS

Real Name
Amber
I had parakeets when I was a kid and my sister had a cockatiel growing up. That’s about as much personal hands on experience I’ve had with birds other than poultry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Amber :)

Had you considered a cockatiel?

Edit:
We posted at the same time
my sister had a cockatiel growing up.
Did you interact with her bird?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had parakeets when I was a kid and my sister had a cockatiel growing up. That’s about as much personal hands on experience I’ve had with birds other than poultry.
Do you have any sanctuaries near you where you could see and interact with a few species? That may help round out what you're looking for.

ANS

Real Name
Amber
Welcome to the forum Amber :)

Had you considered a cockatiel?

Edit:
We posted at the same time

Did you interact with her bird?
They do keep popping up in all of my searches and quizzes My sister got one for Christmas when we were growing up and she was a very loud and mean bird and that is the only thing that comes to my mind when I think about them. I don’t like to be that way, just my one and only experience with has me profiling them as unfriendly.

ANS

Real Name
Amber
Do you have any sanctuaries near you where you could see and interact with a few species? That may help round out what you're looking for.
Not that I am aware of but I will definitely research and see.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would also say cockatiel. They are actually quiet compared to most birds. Males can talk- but they're not known to be great talkers. They're much better at learning whistles and tunes. Females usually don't talk but are known to be cuddlier although my male was a cuddle bug. They are generally really laid back birds. My tiel never once bit me.

Although harder to find, I recently fostered a canary winged parakeet and thought he was a great little bird too. His call was shriller than my tiel's but I wouldn't consider him loud either. Of course, I live with a cockatoo so..... loudness is all compared to him. LOL.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would also say a cockatiel. They can be great with children if introduced properly, they are relatively quiet, they enjoy just hanging out, tend not to be one person birds, are usually not nippy, and are really just all around sweet birds, especially the females. They are dusty birds, and they are not really clownish, also, they are not big talkers, but as mentioned the males can learn a few words and whistle well. An adult bird in need of a home would be good idea, because you can see what his or her true personality is like after puberty. Going to visit bird’s at a rescue would be a good idea.

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I mirror the suggestions made above. Most of the birds tend to be one person birds and can become protective / jealous if they feel threatened.

Cockatiels are great family birds - my ‘tiel absolutely loves everybody he meets. He does prefer my mom and me over others but will generally go to anyone who approaches him. The only drawback with some people is that they may be allergic to dust, which cockatiels produce. A LOT. However, with daily cleaning and maintainence, this can be managed. My own mom is allergic to dust and my ‘tiel loves her to death. We get along fine. :)

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I would agree about the Cockatiel. I certainly would not go larger according to what you have written. Cockatiels are generally happy friendly birds. Even though getting one young may help it bond to you there is no guarantee on that particular birds personality. If you get a rehome at least you know generally it likes children, tends to be friendly with everyone, is timed ect. Also, your fur and feathered should not be out at the same time regardless of how friendly they appear to be, they can't help when their instincts kick in.