• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a one-sided tiel relationship?

lilwonder

Moving in
Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a conundrum and I was hoping to get some advice. I have two cockatiels, one female and one male. My male adores my female but she is very aloof with him. She seems to view him as more of a little brother than a companion. My worry is that he will become frustrated that she won't bond with him, especially since he's starting to display courtship behavior towards her. I don't necessarily want them to breed but I don't want him to feel lonely or dejected either. They've been together almost 8 months now, is there any way to make her more inclined to bond with him at this point? I've also considered introducing another female but I know there's no guarantee they will all three get along, let alone bond. I'm open to any suggestions you guys might have.

Thank you!

Some additional backstory if it may help:
My guess for their sex is based primarily off their behavior as neither have been DNA tested or laid eggs yet. My female (Riku) is a year and a half old and I've had her since she was weened. She had been hand fed by the breeder and is very personable. My male (Desmond) is about 10 months old and he came from a pet shop (I understand buying from pet shops if far from ideal and it's not something I ever intended to do, but something about him really tugged at my heartstrings. I can't explain it but I couldn't stop thinking about him after I went home that night and ended up going back for him three days later.) As you can probably guess, Desmond does not like to be handled much. He will step up sometimes when he's feeling generous but for the most part he likes his attention to be hands free. Riku was an only bird for about 7 months until Des came along. She likes human attention but I wouldn't say she's bonded to any of us, at least not in a way that would incite jealousy or anything like that. They have two large cages but are allowed to free fly in their bedroom which is equiped with ropes and toys and such.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you give them out of cage time with you? If so how do they relate to each other then?
My first thought after reading your post is maybe they have not been together long enough. It can take a long time for birds to bond together. Then again they may not bond closely like you want. I really dont see it as a problem.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also don’t see a problem. If they are not closely bonded they still will enjoy having another bird around. I had a male who really liked my female. They were friends somewhat, but he would pester her so much that she was much happier in her own cage. Sometimes birds just don’t bond, and there isn’t anything you can do about it. I wouldn’t get another bird, and I don’t think he will feel too lonely.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My male and female tiels are happy with each other's company, but their relationship is complex. He gets irritated if she tries to preen him or get really close, but he sings to her and seems to try mating when she invites him (he always fails and gives up! Haha). She meanwhile clearly would like a more "bonded" relationship.

Anyway, despite them not getting what they want, they appreciate each other's company. If your tiels sleep and eat together and generally don't mind being around each other then it isn't a problem.

A good way of heading off potential problems is a large cage so they can get away from each other if necessary and separate food bowls.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. In your picture, which bird is which? They're very cute. You can't really force birds to be more than friends. But it's okay if they're just friends. :)

lilwonder

Moving in
Do you give them out of cage time with you? If so how do they relate to each other then?
My first thought after reading your post is maybe they have not been together long enough. It can take a long time for birds to bond together. Then again they may not bond closely like you want. I really dont see it as a problem.
They're out of their cage pretty much all day. They have their own room and I leave their cages open for them to go in and out. My male will follow my female around and whistle at her and try to get her to preen him but she just ignores him. She's not hostile, she's just not interested in him. It's not a problem necessarily, I just worry about him feeling rejected and either becoming sad or even angry at her.

lilwonder

Moving in
I also don’t see a problem. If they are not closely bonded they still will enjoy having another bird around. I had a male who really liked my female. They were friends somewhat, but he would pester her so much that she was much happier in her own cage. Sometimes birds just don’t bond, and there isn’t anything you can do about it. I wouldn’t get another bird, and I don’t think he will feel too lonely.
Thank you, I hope you're right. I'm probably over thinking things but I just want them both to be happy.

lilwonder

Moving in
My male and female tiels are happy with each other's company, but their relationship is complex. He gets irritated if she tries to preen him or get really close, but he sings to her and seems to try mating when she invites him (he always fails and gives up! Haha). She meanwhile clearly would like a more "bonded" relationship.

Anyway, despite them not getting what they want, they appreciate each other's company. If your tiels sleep and eat together and generally don't mind being around each other then it isn't a problem.

A good way of heading off potential problems is a large cage so they can get away from each other if necessary and separate food bowls.
Thank you, this makes me feel better. As long as Riku isn't annoyed and Des isn't sad or angry I'll just let them do their thing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you Riku is the whiteface and Desmond is the pearl.
Okay, has Desmond had a big molt yet? Has his pearl markings decreased? Male pearls start to lose their pearls as they molt. If he's not, he may be a she. Also, your female may still just see him as a baby since he's young and not as a mate.