• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a new IRN owner!

NotReptile

Moving in
(I'm new to this site and still don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in- Please direct me if there's a specific place for these types of questions!)

Hello! I finally brought home my new Indian Ringneck, last Sunday. I am new to Indian Ringnecks entirely but I have owned and tamed two conures prior to owning Ares. I've decided not to clip his wings and to let him be entirely free roam. His cage is entirely suitable for him to stay in but today I made the choice to finally let him out. He seems to be doing well but I still wanted to ask some questions! [Just to make sure I haven't missed anything]

[He's just 7 or so months old because his ring hasn't started to develop yet and he has a violet leg band, in the UK this means he was hatched in 2021.]

1) Is there anything I should be looking out for specifically with this breed of bird such as diet/behaviour?

- Currently, he's on a diet of seed mix and mainly fruits [blueberries, apples & bananas]

2) I read some posts here saying that IRN are hard to tame yet others say otherwise - although this is entirely depends on the individual bird - How much does taming an IRN differ to taming other birds?

- Ares is not hand tamed at all and is incredibly frightful as of now - to be expected since its so early.
- It took me 5 months to tame my first bird and around 3 months to tame the second, If this helps at all?
- Is there a chance Ares will never be tamed?

Thanks for any and all help!!!
:irn::heart2:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This article has some tips on getting them to eat veggies. Veggies are awesome to include on diet

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
She has lots of great articles . Here is one with tips on IRN
Until members with experience with this species join in with their great advice.
Hope you will attach a picture! Congratulations on your new friend

NotReptile

Moving in
She has lots of great articles . Here is one with tips on IRN
Until members with experience with this species join in with their great advice.
Hope you will attach a picture! Congratulations on your new friend
Apologies for the quality! Ares was on my monitor and I didn’t want to get too close to not scare him. Here he is! Will get a better picture once he is tamed :) Thanks for your advice! Will read up on the threads ASAP :)

340A1033-4C69-4CE3-AAB6-11EE072F5090.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Agree! Doing pretty good for such early days! Hanging out with you, so sweet!

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
A couple suggestions. Find a good pellet in your area to use as a primary source over seed and veggies and animal proteins such as chicken or eggs. I also use rice or oatmeal as a side treat for my Jade. Locate a good vet for your guy just in case. Watch his behavior as he gets older it will
Likely change as he matures. Good luck and I hope he’s with you for a long time. Fruit is good, but greens and veggies are very important.