• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice Appriciated! :D

Brenifer

Moving in
Hi! My new budgie, Hane (ha-nae) is a very messy eater. I keep him in my bedroom which is carpeted and now it is covered in bird food. I would like to vacuum up the mess he makes... except that he's terrified of the vacuum. I would move him out of the room prior to cleaning but I'm worried that because he's not used to his surroundings yet that it will stress him out really bad and set him back on the progress he's made at getting comfortable in his new home... Is this the case? If so, does anyone have any advice on how I could clean my carpet without freaking Hane out?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You could try putting an office mat on the floor. That way it would be possible to sweep every day.
Doctors Foster and Smith also sell this mat that you could keep beneath his cage: Drymate Multi-Use Pet Mat | Bird Cage Accessories from DrsFosterSmith.com With this mat, you could roll up the mess and toss it out in the trash each day.
I hope this helps! Best of luck with your little budgie. :)

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
At some point you need to vacuum. One of my birds isn't fond of it but it has to be done. The mat on the floor or plexi glass will help too, specially to prevent stains from food.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Oh, and placement of the food bowl helps too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't think moving Hane out of the room for a minute or two to vacuum would set back any progress he's making getting used to his surroundings...

Brenifer

Moving in

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The seed hulls that make the mess are very lightweight, so it doesn't take much vacuum power to get them up. If you have one, a small handheld vacuum will do the job. Otherwise I would just use a hose attachment so you can keep the big, noisy, scary vacuum as far away as you can. If he really panics, you could try covering the cage and see if that helps.

Brenifer

Moving in
The seed hulls that make the mess are very lightweight, so it doesn't take much vacuum power to get them up. If you have one, a small handheld vacuum will do the job. Otherwise I would just use a hose attachment so you can keep the big, noisy, scary vacuum as far away as you can. If he really panics, you could try covering the cage and see if that helps.
I haven't tried covering the cage yet, but that sounds like it might be worth a shot. I've been meaning to invest in a hand held vacuum but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess now is a good a time as any to get one. Thanks for the advice!
:bounce4:

Brenifer

Moving in
At some point you need to vacuum. One of my birds isn't fond of it but it has to be done. The mat on the floor or plexi glass will help too, specially to prevent stains from food.
You're right, I will have to vacuum eventually... I really hate having dirty floors. I'm just worried about what going to happen when I get my carpets cleaned, lol...:blink:

Brenifer

Moving in
Yeah, and he's seeming to a
I don't think moving Hane out of the room for a minute or two to vacuum would set back any progress he's making getting used to his surroundings...
Yeah, and he's adjusting a lot quicker than I was anticipating. Maybe I will just have to move him for a little bit... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯