• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice anyone splay leg babylovebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
YouTube - baby lovebirds video 001.AVI

this is the video of my babies the light greyish blue is the one with splay leg as you can tell
this is the first video today i took of them

YouTube - splay leg lovie 001.AVI
this second one is after i put the sponge on him and removed him
from the nest away from mom and dady and the other two babies

should i remove the other two and give him company that way hes not alone in the cage by hisself or take them when i was going to later after christmas and just spoil this one by hisself for awhile

any advice is helpful with him

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
How are you keeping this baby warm? The temperature around him should be at least 85F - 87F, as he's just getting his down coat. He should also be kept in a dark container rather than a cage. You want to try to copy what he's used to as if he were with his parents. I keep my babies in a heated container until they are very close to 4 weeks old and their feathers are beginning to open. Even then, the temperature around them is not less than 85F until they are 5 weeks old.

Baby lovebirds are very social and if you are going to pull the others, I would do it now. The singleton you have will be a lot more comfortable with company.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
yeah i usually pull my babies at 3-4 weeks and they do fine with socializing, as i handle them daily even when they are with thier parents,
this is the first time i had to pull one this quickly and his cage is up to 88 degrees as i used that method last time too and it kept them very warm,
the cage has plastic on two of the sides and the front with the door and the side with the warming light is covered,
i was using my lamp to be able to show the baby as the heat lamp leaves a red glow to everything, and hard to see with my camera as it is without the red clow to everything
but i understand what your saying,
i was thinking of pulling the other babies here in the next few days after i give this one some much needed spoiling time,
he is not alone at all im right beside him most of the day and dont go to bed till about 1-2 am and back up at 6-7 am so he will only be alone maybe 5 hours in his cage
which now i will be up between then to checking his crop to make sure he isnt hungry or anything and checking him anyways
i pretty much now how to raisethem
this is just the first time i have ever dealt with splay legs,
i have hand fed all kinds of baby birds from cockatiels to cockatoo and macaws
so i thought i would raise my own lovebirds and the first clutch was great, this clutch has issues, so i dont think ill be breeding this pair again for awhile after this,

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
there is no reason to pull him....the parents would of carried on as normal

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Oh, just saw that you said you put a sponge on him. I'm assuming that you have already started the process of fixing his legs. Sorry I didn't watch the videos. Looks like you are taking the right steps. :)

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
yeah and the cool thing is hes had the sponge on for 28 hours now and it seems to be working
he already is standing up in the sponge and reaching, so i think i may have caught it in time
and i noticed the littlest kinda was going haywire with his legs and he is only like 8 days old so i went ahead and pulled all 3 and started hand feeding and put the baby in a splint sponge too
the only one that dont need is the first hatched and he is doing great nibbling at my lips when i kiss him and such and loving being held when i hand feed
you can tell the ones with splints are mad about them being on them but if it helps im willing to tick them off to make them better
( also the redness in thier thighs have went down alot already too )

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
To correct splay legs in babies this young should take roughly 14 days.

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
yeah thats what the website says too 14 or so days
so i think its going to work for the baby! he is already acting way better with the sponge

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
If the sponge seems to be working, continue using it. There are other methods but the key to healing is consistency. I usually remove the hobbles (sponge in your case) around 10-11 days and see the results of what I've been doing. The baby will not be able to stand but it should be able to keep its legs under it rather than out to the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.