• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Advice after stove fire

Dandelion

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stevie
Last night, at around 3AM, I woke up to the smell of smoke. I went to my kitchen and found that the electronic stove had turned itself on and a pot with teflon coating had caught fire. There was a LOT of smoke. My cockatiel looked startled but he was sitting on a perch, not on the bottom of the cage or anything like that. His cage is about 10 feet from the stove, across the room. While my dad was putting out the fire I took him to my room on the second floor, on the opposite side of the house. He looked stressed out (crest up, all other feathers flat) and he was flying around a bit. I put him in his travel cage (this one) for the night so he would be confined, and he was making contact calls for a while. At around 4 or 5AM, I fell asleep and when I woke up he was still sleeping, with his head tucked back.

I took him out of the cage, and gave him some food and water. He's eating and drinking, making a huge mess with the millet, playing and flying around, and he lets me preen him. He seems okay. I don't know how long the pot was on fire, but he seems to be breathing without difficulty. If I watch closely I can see his chest move a little when he breathes, but I think that's normal. He's not puffed up. I'm keeping him in my room until I can clean the kitchen and his cage. We left all the windows on the first floor open and pointed a fan at the screen door overnight. Do you think I should bring him to the vet? Should I wait to see if his behavior changes? He smells a little smokey if I hold him right next to my face, but its not a strong scent.

And before anyone says anything, that was the only cookware in our house with teflon, and we threw it out. There were two other pots on the stove, ceramic and steel, but of course those weren't the ones that caught fire.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I guess you will mostly just want to monitor behavior, breathing, and droppings.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh goodness I'm so sorry that happened to you and your little one. That's a huge fear of mine is fire breaking out in the middle of the night. I agree to continue to monitor and that's pretty much all you can do unless you want to take him to the vet just to be extra careful. I hope he will be ok you reacted quickly and did all the right things he's lucky to have you.