• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice about getting a gcc

Esmerella

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Esme
Hello, I’m thinking about getting a green cheek conure but I have a few questions and I hope you could help answer them :)

I go out each day for 10 hours leaving about 7 and coming back just after 5 however the last person to leave the house doesn’t go until around 9 - would I be able to leave a GCC alone for this long (with lots of toys, radio...)? I would be able to let the bird out for half an hour or so before I leave and for about 4 hours when I come home, would this work?
I get up around 9 on weekends, would a gcc be able to adjust to a schedule where mornings are early during the working week but later on the weekend?
I know they need about 10 hours sleep, but I’m very bad at getting enough sleep my self and often am still up and about late in the nigh with tv on and such, if the cage is covered would this disturb the bird (tv normally goes off just before 11 but I will probably still be wandering around afterwards)?
Also, how messy do GCCs tend to be, I’m aware you can litter train them, but do they often have accidents and are they messy eaters?
Thank you for any answers or any advice you could give me on owning a gcc :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Esme :starshower1:

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can adapt to your schedule.

All parrots are messy. It is part of their biology - what they don't eat falls to the ground to feed the tree, or animals that can't reach the fruits that they can. Potty training them is not recommended as some birds will end up holding too long, causing infection or prolapse. That being said, poop is easy to contain if you have several "bird stations". These encourage your bird to hang out in approved areas that they can land and poop.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Welcome to AA. Shawna has some good answers.

Esmerella

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Esme
Birds can adapt to your schedule.

All parrots are messy. It is part of their biology - what they don't eat falls to the ground to feed the tree, or animals that can't reach the fruits that they can. Potty training them is not recommended as some birds will end up holding too long, causing infection or prolapse. That being said, poop is easy to contain if you have several "bird stations". These encourage your bird to hang out in approved areas that they can land and poop.
Thank you for your advice! What you said about them naturally dropping food makes a lot of sense - you can’t really change inbuilt natural instinct so I’ll prepare for mess! And thank you for the “bird stations” idea. Really appreciate the help :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Many of us work and successfully keep birds. So, I think the time schedule you have will be okay. I make it a point to get up early to let my birds out before I go to work for a bit, and then when I get home. Sleep is important. I move my birds out of the room where we watch TV at night. I don't know if that's an option for you but my one cockatiel has a sleep cage. So his big cage stays in the living room but i put him in a smaller cage at bedtime and take him upstairs to sleep.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have a gcc and she really only poops where she perches which is her feeding trays on her cage, my laptop (her fave hangout) and her big play stand. but they poop anywhere they are standing so thats up to you. Like if I'm walking around with her on her perch stick, she's going to poop. But honestly bird poop is the easiest to do a two second wipe so it's not a big deal.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Hello, I’m thinking about getting a green cheek conure but I have a few questions and I hope you could help answer them :)

I go out each day for 10 hours leaving about 7 and coming back just after 5 however the last person to leave the house doesn’t go until around 9 - would I be able to leave a GCC alone for this long (with lots of toys, radio...)? I would be able to let the bird out for half an hour or so before I leave and for about 4 hours when I come home, would this work?
I get up around 9 on weekends, would a gcc be able to adjust to a schedule where mornings are early during the working week but later on the weekend?
I know they need about 10 hours sleep, but I’m very bad at getting enough sleep my self and often am still up and about late in the nigh with tv on and such, if the cage is covered would this disturb the bird (tv normally goes off just before 11 but I will probably still be wandering around afterwards)?
Also, how messy do GCCs tend to be, I’m aware you can litter train them, but do they often have accidents and are they messy eaters?
Thank you for any answers or any advice you could give me on owning a gcc :)
It seems you have the same questions I had when I started getting into the fascinating creatures that are the green cheek conures. You should be able to leave it alone for that long if it is able to have a wide and tall cage (those are best because they fly horizontally) and lots of toys. If you come home on weekends, spend a lot of time with it. Birds can get separation anxiety, so you might want to consider getting two instead, or just loving it over the weekends. Some conures are messy eaters, but to me I don’t see that as a problem. You can potty train them to fly back to the cage if they need to poop, but you don’t have to if you don’t mind a bit of mess occasionally. With the TV stuff, keep it at a low volume and watch it in another room if you can. Good luck!

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave: