• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adverse reaction to ACV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
LOL! When I first retired and was still living in California, I went to work part time as an Avian Vet Tech, for my Vet.

We did experiments with ACV effectiveness on bacterial cultures, both wet mounts and gram stains, and of course, it does work.

I add ACV to my birds water a couple of times a week. Sara, is an E-Coli bird and often has an asymptomatic overgrowth of E-Coli which is evidenced by clear mucus in her mouth. ACV in her water daily for 10 days takes care of it.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
ACV in her water daily for 10 days takes care of it.
----------------------------------------------
The thing of it, isn't it more practical to find the cause of the E.coli, rather than having to contiunually treat? If a bird is healthy there is no need for ACV or any other preventative cures.

I'm not fond of ACV for the simple fact is it changes the PH in the gut, and then probiotics should be used to correct the PH.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What most people don't understand is most birds cannot fit no more than a CUP of food in their crops!
--------------------------------

LOL, you must not have tiels :) The MAX for an adult is approx 5cc after they are weaned because the crop capaicity is greatly reduced.

Ok.. babies are the exeption. And what I meant was, it really depends ontheior size too. :o:

I have tiels, and remember when they were babies.. I swear they would eat a cup a day or more! LOL

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ACV and GSE are mild antibacterial products. Here at out house when we have time on our side I like to use the holistic approach to treating our birds. I have watched both work doing wet mounts and gram stains. The do not work as fast as an antibiotic but they do lower the bacterial counts. I would not call using ACV masking the problem as you are using it without knowing for sure what type of bacteria or possible infection your bird has. Many avian vets are moving towards holistic medications when the condition of the bird does not warrant a antibiotic. We use ACV here a lot and have never had a problem or reaction to it. Another product we keep on hand is a product called AviPow, (Pau d'arco), it also work on minor upsets and bacterial or fungal problems. I recommend everyone keep a few of the holistic products on hand for minor problems. No holistic medication takes the place of a diagnostic vet visit when you have an emergency.

Natural Anti-fungal / Anti-Bacterial Supplement from the Rainforest.

gary
Oh I didn't think it was "masking" by being a "band aid." To me, a band aid is first aid. It's what you do when you have a mild problem until you can get it checked out. I wouldn't do it if I thought it were "masking." And, thanks very much, Gary, for your input. As I said, the ACV has worked wonders here :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
been reading these posts and the one thing that jumped out at me was the Spinich. It is one thing I would use very sparingly with my birds if at all. It does stop the rest of the foodstuffs from doing their correct Job? Has to be used sparingly.?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
been reading these posts and the one thing that jumped out at me was the Spinich. It is one thing I would use very sparingly with my birds if at all. It does stop the rest of the foodstuffs from doing their correct Job? Has to be used sparingly.?
--------------------------------------------------
First off, what a person needs to do is to research the nutrient content of all fruits and veggies given.

Print out the info from the following links:

Oxalic Acid: Guinea Lynx ::Oxalic Acid in Selected Vegetables

Calcium: Guinea Lynx :: Calcium Chart

Spinach gets a bad rap because most peopele read and repeat that it is high in oxalic acid, which will bind the calcium in the body from the foods eaten and then it is unable. Too much info on lists/forums and the internet is simply parroted and passed along as fact.

If you look at the charts all veggies/greens contain some oxalic acid and some calcium.

What you want to do is select foods that have a higher calcium ratio than oxalic acid. This level above the oxalic acid level is available and absorbed in the body.

And this is a link that explains what Oxalic Acid is, and alot of other info: http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
ACV and GSE are mild antibacterial products. Here at out house when we have time on our side I like to use the holistic approach to treating our birds. I have watched both work doing wet mounts and gram stains. The do not work as fast as an antibiotic but they do lower the bacterial counts. I would not call using ACV masking the problem as you are using it without knowing for sure what type of bacteria or possible infection your bird has.
------------------------------------------------

Many many years ago I always treated my water with various things as a preventative. I also learned that once the preventative treatments were done many times small problems and/or deaths would occur. It led me to do more research and I wrote the following: Preventative Treatments - Just Cockatiels! The info is also applicable to products that have antibacterial properties.

And the pixs are from necropsys.

It is my belief that if a bird is healthy and has a good immune system there would be no need enhance this. If it is not broke, don't fix it.

Attachments

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Excellent article! A must read for all bird owners. I feel the same way about ACV.
I agree with the above. Great article.

Also wanted to mention... cheese definitely does have lactose. Trust me... I am lactose intolerant.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Interesting article and opinion from Susanne.

Since I use ACV on a regular basis and feel this is an outstanding thread, I would like to post a link and a scan on the subject. Here is a great article by Alica McWatters PH. D., C.N.C., on the benefits of ACV. Apple Cider Vinegar for Birds by Alicia McWatters I noticed that Alicia has written a book, "A guide to the naturally healthy bird" A Guide to a Naturally Healthy Bird

Also attached is a page (359) from "Clinical Avian Medicine" by Dr. Harrison and Dr. Light foot.

gary

Attachments

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, lots of information on this thread!
I have since cut down on the organic spinach that I give the birds. After doing some research, I did see that it was high in oxalic acid but so are most other green, leafy veggies much like Susanne said. If I were to supplement with a higher calcium content I believe this would be fine. The only time they eat it is if I'm eating it, and I'm sharing with them.

spencertoo

Moving in
I agree that ACV has some benefits. But what I don't agree with is giving as a prophylactic.

The text from "Clinical Avian Medicine" states it's usefulness when there is a disorder, not adding to the diet of a healthy bird. To me, adding ACV, is like giving an antibiotic "just in case".

The best thing we can add to our birds' lives is to offer a good diet, fresh air, sunshine and exercise to help keep them healthy. If they have a diagnosed problem then, with the vet's knowledge and guidance, I'd have no problem adding a supplement such as ACV.

Status
Not open for further replies.