• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advancement of a chewer?

MiniMarie

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evelyn
Formatting will not be great cause I'm on mobile.

So! My Jade is learning about toys still. She started with preening strings (not fabric, but grass type) to sea grass and other stringy things she would run her beak along.... Then she discovered she can actually remove pieces from her toys and watch them fall. Oh boy. Game changer. The ignored her grass toys for the kabobs. Kabob after kabob gone in a few days. So I got her a yucca log. Because that's just a bigger kabob, right? She ignored it, because she discovered the mahogany pod toy that's been there all along... It lasted 2 days and was 5 times her size. So I went and got packs of mahogany pods, natural cork bark, dried sunflower heads, Sola sticks, and Coco fiber balls to shread. She has gone through most of the 20 mahogany pods, and discovered cork! This one seems like it's actually a challenge to destroy, but not so hard it seems impossible.

What is the "next step" for her, once cork is no longer fun?

I was thinking corn cob? Or a soft wood? Any suggestions? I need to have stock on hand before she wants it!

Unrelated, I have a sassafras tree in my yard, that had dead branches. I sanitized those and hung them in my window... Favorite perch ever, and it smells fantastic when she chews the twigs.

GreenThing

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kat
Balsa wood is a favorite for my guys, so are any of those woven wicker stars or baskets! They love chewing up their bottle brush perches, too. They are way more casual about it, though, budgie ladies go hardcore :heart:

MiniMarie

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evelyn
Definitely balsa and try some of @Mizzely ’s stores thin chippy pine toys! They were like birdie crack for my past Conures. I recommend Itty Bitty Chippy <3 Itty Bitty Chippy - Thin Pine Toy for Birds
I will try those! Or I'll make something similar, as my budgie does spook at bright colors, (except orange, which sucks cause I hate orange, but since she likes it..... )

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will try those! Or I'll make something similar, as my budgie does spook at bright colors, (except orange, which sucks cause I hate orange, but since she likes it..... )
You can ask Shawna to do natural or custom colors. I've gotten a multitude of different fun colored ones over the years.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna
Yes, I can make almost any of my toys without dyes :) At checkout you can select No Dyes or add a note that you want natural and orange only :)