• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

, adult rescue birds

Jingle

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Silver
Hellooo :)! Meet Natal
426C1A86-52F2-4038-A804-E44518006022.jpeg
Her story :
So on the last Christmas morning I rescued her from drowning in my swimming pool , picked her up gave her some towel, and food as well as some clean drinking water. I decided to keep her as I know that lovebird is not a native or the type of birds you could find in the wild ( at least in my area) So I assumed that she used to be someone else’s pet. She had no ring attached and I had no idea about her past . She learned target training , Loves getting treats through the cage bar. But the moment she sees a finger .. she went on nippy mode …. Tried to train her to step up with some heavy duty gloves It worked ( sometimes ) but the moment I tried to ask her to step up with my finger BOOM ! there goes my finger, bled wuite a lot and I have tried working with her for 3 months … other than target training, nothing seemed to be improving

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's very pretty. Have you tried getting her to step up on a perch? That can save your fingers and I prefer that to gloves.

Jingle

Real Name
Silver
She's very pretty. Have you tried getting her to step up on a perch? That can save your fingers and I prefer that to gloves.
Yes, I have tried to train her to step up with both perches and gloves . Sometimes it went well sometimes not so much… Is there any advice that I could use to slowly transition her from stepping up to perches and gloves to finger ? Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, I have tried to train her to step up with both perches and gloves . Sometimes it went well sometimes not so much… Is there any advice that I could use to slowly transition her from stepping up to perches and gloves to finger ? Thank you
Barbara Heidenrich has some good training material. I would suggest checking those out. She and Pamela Clarke are 2 really good resources.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi she’s so lucky u found her and gorgeous :heart:have u tired millet a long piece my new love birds scared of hands put as slowly learnt to eat millet from and hands I then moved millet further away so had to step on my finger to reach the millet or seed in ur hand so she as to step on ur hand to get the seeds it’s a very slow and patient progress but mines getting there still as odd nip also have u tired outside of cage as the may be protected of their space the cage

Jingle

Real Name
Silver
Hi she’s so lucky u found her and gorgeous :heart:have u tired millet a long piece my new love birds scared of hands put as slowly learnt to eat millet from and hands I then moved millet further away so had to step on my finger to reach the millet or seed in ur hand so she as to step on ur hand to get the seeds it’s a very slow and patient progress but mines getting there still as odd nip also have u tired outside of cage as the may be protected of their space the cage
Thank you , yea I have tried getting her to eat spray millet from my hand , sometimes it worked out but sometimes she also go for my hand.But I never really try training her outside of her cage , Thank you I will try to get her outside sometimes ❤❤