• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adult Pionus Learning to Fly

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just wanted to share my progress with my ladybird Zephyr! She's about 9 years old now and we've had her for a year. As far as I'm aware she's been clipped her whole life; the last few months we've been letting her wings grow. I think they're fully grown out now. At first, she only flew in emergencies - when she was genuinely terrified. I was worried because she's never flown that she wouldn't be able to learn... but sure enough, she's making progress! She now flies when she's frustrated and really wants to get somewhere, not just when she's panicked. And she's strong! I'm amazed at her agility, able to turn corners, slow down to land, and ascend & descend with precision. She's still got a ways to go in terms of confidence but the raw material is all there. I'm not sure she'll ever be the kind of bird that flies around the house for fun, but it makes me feel better to know that she knows she can get where she needs to when she needs to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great update. It´s always nice to see our birds flying. So beautiful. I´m really happy for you both :)

berries

Strolling the yard
It's always nice to hear about adult birds making progress with their flying skills. Never too old to learn! When I adopted my middle-aged CAG he wasn't clipped but had never really flown. We've been working on it slowly and he will now flutter/hop to me from a short distance. Its not much but its progress.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s awesome! My Ernie WCP had been in a cage and clipped until he was 17. I’ve had him since then — he is 23 now I think — and he has not been clipped again. We keep his cage open all the time with a perch on the outside, he can come and go as he pleases. He’s very awkward and doesn’t quite know where he’ll land — hence neither do we — but at least he can fly and he knows it.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My two linnies have recently become flighted, but they are very hesitant and ungraceful! It's fine though, they'll get stronger the more they practice. Isn't it great watching them learn!?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two linnies have recently become flighted, but they are very hesitant and ungraceful! It's fine though, they'll get stronger the more they practice. Isn't it great watching them learn!?
That was my favorite part w/ Buddy! I must say we're in the drama of it too as Parronts. We don't want them to get hurt by dropping out of the sky however they almost need a few minor crashes to learn properly indoors. There almost isn't a way around it.