• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Adorable birds... That I can't buy

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Well. I have been browsing on the internet. I came across the CUTEST and most ADORABLE birds. they come together with the cage and I have never been so tempted. I have convinced myself that I cannot buy them. I really am trying very hard not to look at the link every day to see if they have gone to a new home. It's just so tempting! Who agrees? :angelic::angelic:

This is the yellow ringneck:

This is the "Maroon Bellied Conure x with a Peach Conure":

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I've struggled with the same temptations in the past... What I did, though, was set some (high) standards in order to deter me from bringing home another bird at this point in my life.
In regards to space and finances, I could house one more cockatiel. But if I were to get a different species of bird, I would...
1. Need to be able to offer him/her a large, preferably avian/bird room type space
2. Be able to afford to adopt two as friends, since I work away from home
3. Adopt from a rescue - not a random person on Craigslist, not a pet store. This is to protect my own flock from diseases.

Your standards may be very different, but if you really feel that you are not in a position to adopt these birds, it may help you to write out the reasons why and what changes you would have to make before getting a bird.
Honestly, it has actually reduced my stress. For a while there were SO MANY birds on Craigslist that I wanted to bring home. I was driving myself crazy trying to think of how I could make it work... But then I reminded myself that I think, first, of the health and happiness my current flock. I felt almost relieved after I did that.

Harleyandme

I've struggled with the same temptations in the past... What I did, though, was set some (high) standards in order to deter me from bringing home another bird at this point in my life.
In regards to space and finances, I could house one more cockatiel. But if I were to get a different species of bird, I would...
1. Need to be able to offer him/her a large, preferably avian/bird room type space
2. Be able to afford to adopt two as friends, since I work away from home
3. Adopt from a rescue - not a random person on Craigslist, not a pet store. This is to protect my own flock from diseases.

Your standards may be very different, but if you really feel that you are not in a position to adopt these birds, it may help you to write out the reasons why and what changes you would have to make before getting a bird.
Honestly, it has actually reduced my stress. For a while there were SO MANY birds on Craigslist that I wanted to bring home. I was driving myself crazy trying to think of how I could make it work... But then I reminded myself that I think, first, of the health and happiness my current flock. I felt almost relieved after I did that.
Yes! I totally agree. My list would be very similar, except in New Zealand we have very little bird adoption areas, and when there ARE birds in my area, they are mostly roosters, chickens and ducks. I feel like I COULD probably house these two birds, pay for all the expenses and care for them, but I don't think it's the right decision at the moment. I will try the list because that is actually a great idea. I have come across many a bird I would love to just pick up and take home and care for them forever and ever. The other day, actually, there was a disabled pigeon for sale somewhere online and I was SO tempted to get him!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
They're gorgeous!! Nandays and Sun conures are two types of birds I don't know if I'll ever own tho. Their scream is too much for me!

Harleyandme

They're gorgeous!! Nandays and Sun conures are two types of birds I don't know if I'll ever own tho. Their scream is too much for me!
Me too, which is probably another thing I should add to the list. The ringneck, though, is one of my next to-be-mine birds. I know they're noisy too, but I guess if I want parrots, they have to come with the noise. I love the colours of this IRN :rolleyes::heart:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Yes! I totally agree. My list would be very similar, except in New Zealand we have very little bird adoption areas, and when there ARE birds in my area, they are mostly roosters, chickens and ducks. I feel like I COULD probably house these two birds, pay for all the expenses and care for them, but I don't think it's the right decision at the moment. I will try the list because that is actually a great idea. I have come across many a bird I would love to just pick up and take home and care for them forever and ever. The other day, actually, there was a disabled pigeon for sale somewhere online and I was SO tempted to get him!
I know. It's tough! There are so many birds that need homes! But at the same time, if you try to take on more responsibility than you can handle, you are still doing a disservice to that bird.

What is holding you back at this point? For me, I am working taking grad school classes at night twice a week and will be student teaching next semester, but after that I will be able to get a full time job that pays way better, and I know that then I'll be able to consider adding another bird to my flock. It serves as a benchmark for me. Do you have any benchmarks you can aim for so that, even if you don't feel like you can add a bird to your flock now, maybe you can in the near future?

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Me too, which is probably another thing I should add to the list. The ringneck, though, is one of my next to-be-mine birds. I know they're noisy too, but I guess if I want parrots, they have to come with the noise. I love the colours of this IRN :rolleyes::heart:

I'm use to noise here, I've been around the loudest of cockatoos and macaws. My conure can be very loud and the eclectus MAN SHE CAN SCREAMMMM! So its not really the noise that bothers me but the pitch and sound of their scream. I honestly don't know if I could ever handle a nanday or sun conure here long term.

Harleyandme

I know. It's tough! There are so many birds that need homes! But at the same time, if you try to take on more responsibility than you can handle, you are still doing a disservice to that bird.

What is holding you back at this point? For me, I am working taking grad school classes at night twice a week and will be student teaching next semester, but after that I will be able to get a full time job that pays way better, and I know that then I'll be able to consider adding another bird to my flock. It serves as a benchmark for me. Do you have any benchmarks you can aim for so that, even if you don't feel like you can add a bird to your flock now, maybe you can in the near future?
I'm not sure what is holding me back at this point. I think the most obvious one to me is that I am planning a trip with family to somewhere next year for over a month and pets are a big factor to the time frame. We already have to find somewhere for our dog to go, our rabbit, our birds and other pets such as fish a temporary home while we are gone. I could have bought those birds, then had them get used to me and when I am finally bonded and they are very happy with me, I leave them for a long-ish period of time.
Of course, I would keep the ones I already have, but can I add another bird (or more) to my flock when I have to leave them alone for so long? (obviously not alone, but you know what I mean :laugh:).

Oh and are you training to become a teacher (because you said you were student teaching)? That sounds interesting!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I get this temptation! It is horrible, there are so Many sweet birdies in need of a good home! I usually Come to Reason after a few minutes, but when i was searching for my second lovie I came across so Many amazing birds! There even was someone who was free flying her GCC but had to rehome him. I almost gave in to the temptation a few times:rolleyes:

Harleyandme

I get this temptation! It is horrible, there are so Many sweet birdies in need of a good home! I usually Come to Reason after a few minutes, but when i was searching for my second lovie I came across so Many amazing birds! There even was someone who was free flying her GCC but had to rehome him. I almost gave in to the temptation a few times:rolleyes:
Good to hear others have the same thing as me!
And I see you are from the Netherlands. Do you speak Dutch?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Good to hear others have the same thing as me!
And I see you are from the Netherlands. Do you speak Dutch?
Yes I am! And I speak Dutch, I was born here:) een echte hollander!:D

Your profile pic is just too cute, love her little face:heart:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm not sure what is holding me back at this point. I think the most obvious one to me is that I am planning a trip with family to somewhere next year for over a month and pets are a big factor to the time frame. We already have to find somewhere for our dog to go, our rabbit, our birds and other pets such as fish a temporary home while we are gone. I could have bought those birds, then had them get used to me and when I am finally bonded and they are very happy with me, I leave them for a long-ish period of time.
Of course, I would keep the ones I already have, but can I add another bird (or more) to my flock when I have to leave them alone for so long? (obviously not alone, but you know what I mean :laugh:).

Oh and are you training to become a teacher (because you said you were student teaching)? That sounds interesting!
Hmmmm. Yeah, I see what you mean. So, actually you can buy these birds, but the timing is a little off. Where are you going? I love traveling! I lived and taught English in Ecuador for a year, but that was before birds came into my life. I still want to be able to travel from time to time, but I have yet to do so since getting birds. It does makes things more complicated, though...

Yes, I am! I've been working as a substitute teacher for right now. Towards the end of last school year, I was substitute teaching for a Spanish teacher on maternity leave, which was great - it was a lot of fun, the hours were consistent, and the pay was great! I almost considered getting a bird while I had that job position, but I didn't because I knew it was temporary. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I'll be finished with my certification in less than a year!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hmmmm. Yeah, I see what you mean. So, actually you can buy these birds, but the timing is a little off. Where are you going? I love traveling! I lived and taught English in Ecuador for a year, but that was before birds came into my life. I still want to be able to travel from time to time, but I have yet to do so since getting birds. It does makes things more complicated, though...

Yes, I am! I've been working as a substitute teacher for right now. Towards the end of last school year, I was substitute teaching for a Spanish teacher on maternity leave, which was great - it was a lot of fun, the hours were consistent, and the pay was great! I almost considered getting a bird while I had that job position, but I didn't because I knew it was temporary. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I'll be finished with my certification in less than a year!
WoW that sounds awesome! After I finish this school I want to do a gap year and volunteer two or three months in Africa, either in an animal rescue or and orphanage or Something like that. But I have yet to figure out a solution for my birdies, I won't just leave them with Anyone for such a long time, until now the longest I have been away is three weeks and then I could prepare loads of foraging toys and such my family could easily give to them:)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
WoW that sounds awesome! After I finish this school I want to do a gap year and volunteer two or three months in Africa, either in an animal rescue or and orphanage or Something like that. But I have yet to figure out a solution for my birdies, I won't just leave them with Anyone for such a long time, until now the longest I have been away is three weeks and then I could prepare loads of foraging toys and such my family could easily give to them:)
Wow!!! That sounds like an amazing opportunity! If you can find someone you could trust to take care of your birds while you are gone, you should go for it!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Wow!!! That sounds like an amazing opportunity! If you can find someone you could trust to take care of your birds while you are gone, you should go for it!
Yeah I am really excited about it, I still have half an year to find someone so I think I Will be able to work it out^^

Harleyandme

After I finish this school I want to do a gap year and volunteer two or three months in Africa,
Well, it's not super certain, but I may be going on a safari trip with my family in Africa. I do want to do volunteer work, but the timeframe we are aiming for is not two or three months of staying in the same place volunteering. We are going to do some birding over there, some volunteer work but the main attraction is seeing safari animals. My mum loves birds like I do and she shares the same interests in birding.

Harleyandme

Yes I am! And I speak Dutch, I was born here:) een echte hollander!:D

Your profile pic is just too cute, love her little face:heart:
Oh that's very cool! My dad is Dutch so I know the basics from when I was younger and I have been learning German for a little while :D.
Thank you! In the photo it's actually Harley but I love his little face too :lol:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well, it's not super certain, but I may be going on a safari trip with my family in Africa. I do want to do volunteer work, but the timeframe we are aiming for is not two or three months of staying in the same place volunteering. We are going to do some birding over there, some volunteer work but the main attraction is seeing safari animals. My mum loves birds like I do and she shares the same interests in birding.

Omgggg so awesome!! If you go, make sure to make a lot of pictures if you canr:D