• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adoption Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cameron
Hi, I'm new here. I've owned a bird in the past, however; I've never adopted. Recently I've been looking around for a mature parrot to take into my home as a companion. After months of searching, I came across a post today from an exotic bird rescue in my city. I saw that they had a yellow naped amazon up for adoption, and since amazons were one of the parrots I'm interested in having as a pet, I decided to fill out an application. I was wondering if there are any tips as to how adopting a bird usually goes? What should I expect? Thank you so much!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Each rescue has its own procedures which usually are posted on their website. The rescue I help with requires classes before you can adopt one of their birds but I think most rescues don't (unfortunately). Likely they will also require a home visit. This isn't anything to worry about. They just want to make sure it's a safe environment (and although they won't say it, make sure you're not an animal hoarder). They may ask for proof if you rent or own your home. If rent, they may want to see the lease to make sure you're allowed to have pets.

I'm glad you're considering adopting. There are so many birds out there in need of good homes.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

A good rescue is going to want to know a lot about you, your family, and your home. Be prepared for many questions, some that might be considered very personal.

Does anyone in your household smoke...if so, be prepared for the rescue to turn you down out of hand. Amazons are challenging birds...do you have a vet...preferably an AV...to care for the bird? Young children? That won't disqualify you off the bat, but the rescue will want to talk to you and tell you that young children and birds really do not mix.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your interest in the 'zon, but a GOOD rescue will ask these questions, and many, many more...

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I recently adopted the CAG from a bird rescue in Missouri, so I can only speak to my experience with them, as well as the 5-6 other rescues I have contacted. Here's how it seems to go:
1. Application, either online or a paper form emailed to the rescue. They typically ask what kind of birds you have or had, what happened to them, why you would want an exotic bird, if you are familiar with the care they require
2. Set an appointment to meet the bird.
3. Visit the bird, sometimes an in-person interview. The rescues want to screen out breeders and people who are looking for discounted birds to flip or scam folks with online. They want to see if you can handle the noise, the beak, etc. Don't expect to leave with a bird on the first visit.
4. Waiting period. Some of them have a requirement of going to a "bird class" to learn how to take care of birds. Some will require you to wait a few days to be entirely sure that you want that particular bird. I live 3+ hours away, so I emailed that I still wanted Smoky Blue.
5. Pick up bird. Some rescues have cages, some require you to bring one. I brought my own, with food, water, and fruit for the new guy.
6. Follow up. Some of them have "return policies"- if it's not working out, you are expected to return the bird to that shelter, rather than find a new home on your own.

Hope this helps :)

Cam

Real Name
Cameron
Welcome to the forum. Each rescue has its own procedures which usually are posted on their website. The rescue I help with requires classes before you can adopt one of their birds but I think most rescues don't (unfortunately). Likely they will also require a home visit. This isn't anything to worry about. They just want to make sure it's a safe environment (and although they won't say it, make sure you're not an animal hoarder). They may ask for proof if you rent or own your home. If rent, they may want to see the lease to make sure you're allowed to have pets.

I'm glad you're considering adopting. There are so many birds out there in need of good homes.
Thank you so much for the input, this is all good info to know.

Cam

Real Name
Cameron
Welcome to the Avenue.

A good rescue is going to want to know a lot about you, your family, and your home. Be prepared for many questions, some that might be considered very personal.

Does anyone in your household smoke...if so, be prepared for the rescue to turn you down out of hand. Amazons are challenging birds...do you have a vet...preferably an AV...to care for the bird? Young children? That won't disqualify you off the bat, but the rescue will want to talk to you and tell you that young children and birds really do not mix.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your interest in the 'zon, but a GOOD rescue will ask these questions, and many, many more...
Thank you for your input!
No one in my house smokes and my household does not have any young children. I do have a vet but I plan on going to an avian vet if I am selected to adopt this bird. There are many located just outside of my town, luckily. I'm glad the application I filled out asked about having a vet, too.

Cam

Real Name
Cameron
I recently adopted the CAG from a bird rescue in Missouri, so I can only speak to my experience with them, as well as the 5-6 other rescues I have contacted. Here's how it seems to go:
1. Application, either online or a paper form emailed to the rescue. They typically ask what kind of birds you have or had, what happened to them, why you would want an exotic bird, if you are familiar with the care they require
2. Set an appointment to meet the bird.
3. Visit the bird, sometimes an in-person interview. The rescues want to screen out breeders and people who are looking for discounted birds to flip or scam folks with online. They want to see if you can handle the noise, the beak, etc. Don't expect to leave with a bird on the first visit.
4. Waiting period. Some of them have a requirement of going to a "bird class" to learn how to take care of birds. Some will require you to wait a few days to be entirely sure that you want that particular bird. I live 3+ hours away, so I emailed that I still wanted Smoky Blue.
5. Pick up bird. Some rescues have cages, some require you to bring one. I brought my own, with food, water, and fruit for the new guy.
6. Follow up. Some of them have "return policies"- if it's not working out, you are expected to return the bird to that shelter, rather than find a new home on your own.

Hope this helps :)
This helps A LOT. Thank you so much!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And most of all, have patience and hang in there. Many of the rescues have to eek out time for emails and reference checking between their daily jobs and family. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.