• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adoption Health Concerns

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I have good news and "bad" news!
The good news: I'm adopting a lovebird on Friday. I wasn't looking for another bird so soon, but it's happening and I couldn't be happier.
The bad news: He has a problem with his feet. This seems like a similar case: Pictures - Do I have a foot problem? @Zara.
I was told that he's around a year old, and whoever surrendered him never provided him with a perch. Supposedly he was seen by a vet and given the all-clear. He can definitely get around, but I noticed he has some trouble with keeping a grip (thankfully he is fully flighted). He doesn't like fingers/hands, but he's more than happy to hang out on your arm and shoulder. Some training (and lots of love) is definitely in order since he also refuses to willingly get back in his cage. Apparently he won't eat pellets, veggies, or fruit so he's been on an all-seed diet, which means I have an even longer road ahead of me :wacky: .
I ordered some corner perches. How else can I help him?
elvis 2.jpg elvis.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It definitely looks as if the inner rear toes on both feet are displaced forward. This, and the fact he never had a perch, means his grip is weak. But it will get stronger as he learns and practices. A vet consultation may be worth while. A problem like this would likely need surgery to correct, but it's up to the vet whether their willing to do this for a one year old.
Even without a vet's intervention, his grip will get stronger and he should be able to compensate with practice.
Add some platform perches to his cage too, so he can rest his feet when he needs.

BirdLady13

It definitely looks as if the inner rear toes on both feet are displaced forward. This, and the fact he never had a perch, means his grip is weak. But it will get stronger as he learns and practices. A vet consultation may be worth while. A problem like this would likely need surgery to correct, but it's up to the vet whether their willing to do this for a one year old.
Even without a vet's intervention, his grip will get stronger and he should be able to compensate with practice.
Add some platform perches to his cage too, so he can rest his feet when he needs.
The corner perches are platforms.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A problem like this would likely need surgery to correct,
Surgery was never mentioned to me by my (now previous) vet.
Once our efforts failed, he basically closed the book on her and that was the end :(

I was going to say, oh yes, just like my Adelie, but on closer inspection I see this is both feet.

Adelie was hatched like this, she was the youngest of her clutch. With her slow weaning, I thought that her foot staying closed was due to that. But once her feathers were coming in and the foot remained closed I took her to the vet.
He told me these things can just happen in egg, and are not always due to incorrect bedding and perches.
He showed me how to stretch her toes out, and told me to do it often. And I did. Every hour or two I would towel her with a tee shirt (our bond was tight so it wasn´t an issues for her) and stretch her toes.
I went back for a check up, there was good progress. He taped up her foot, so it has a cotton holding the foot open.
Unfortunately when it was removed, the foot went back to how it was before.
She was just unlucky. Sometimes stretching the foot can correct it, but not always. In her case it was not meant to be.

Something I don´t know if I said on the thread you linked, during a check up, her ¨ankle¨ (where her weight sits on) was quite pinky/red. Vet said to monitor closely to be sure no sores are caused.

At the time, her house was set up with her foot in mind. I made her platform perches out of cardboard (as it´s softed than wood), and no cotton perches - I was terrified that her nail (the one that points up) would get caught in the threads. She has no grate in her cage, and thinner perches because sometimes she could get her toes around them.

She is a fully flighted, never clipped bird, and now lives a ¨normal¨ bird life. She has a mate. And they live in a flight cage. At first I lined the top of the grate with thick card, but she would just shred it to try nest. I now know she is fine with a grate, probably better because the bars go into her closed foot rather than her ¨ankle¨ step on top of the bars.
She even has a cotton boing in her cage now.

Her cage set up story; (I need to update it with a picture of her flight cage!)

Another thing I did which she seemed to enjoy, was make perches from small stuffed toys. This one is one she used a lot, I think your lovebird would benefit from something like this, but you will have to monitor to be sure it doesn´t get chewed;

Adelies roost was either on top of the dragon, or snuggled up to it on the cardboard. She now sleeps on the cotton boing.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Something I don´t know if I said on the thread you linked, during a check up, her ¨ankle¨ (where her weight sits on) was quite pinky/red. Vet said to monitor closely to be sure no sores are caused.
Screenshot_20201001_124632.jpg

Here she is in the tee-shirt after her stretches,
Screenshot_20201001_124541.jpg

Given the birds age, I don't know if it is worth doing the stretches or not. Especially if they are scared of hands, plus coming into a new home. It may not be worth it, for the minor result you may or may not achieve.

I would just focus on a softer cage setup :)
And I recommend that 18x18x30 finch breeder cage I had. It was perfect.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It took time figuring out what worked and what didn´t, I should imagine it will be the same for you as time goes on. I´m lucky Adelie has good grip in one foot and does really well in her larger cage, though she does fall from time to time so I try not to overcrowd the cage so she can break her fall by flapping her wings with no obstructions.
She has the lowered swing in her cage too, but I have only seen her on it once or twice. It must not be comfortable for her or she falls too often, I´m not sure.
Her favourite toy is a small plastic ball (cat toys) with a bell in. She loves to play football on the cage floor.

Another idea I had had for her, which I never got around to, was to buy a platform perch, then sew a padded cover out of non pilling fleece that I would be able to slide on (think, like putting a pillowcase cover on a pillow), to offer padding to the hard wood. It would also make for easier cleaning.

Please do keep me updated on your journey, and what works/doesn´t work - I´m always looking for ideas for Adelie :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on your sweet little lovie! Thank you for giving him a home. :heart:

I also have a lovie with (different) foot issues. I put padding on the bottom of her cage until her grip got stronger and her wings grew out. She has several platform perches in her cage as well. @Zara is full of excellent suggestions!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are the issues? Would love to see her setup :geek:
Her feet are turned a bit inward, making it hard for her to grasp things. She doesn’t like to step up on a finger because of this and needs to be offered a cupped hand, or to be scooped. She was already an adult when I adopted her and the vet said there was nothing to be done about her feet. Despite that, her grip is strong enough now that she can hang upside down and climb (albeit a little awkwardly) like an adorable little bat from the top of her cage.

This was her initial setup when I first brought her home - when she had only the one corner perch as I had to order more/better ones (I didn’t like that one and got rid of it). I also switched out her cage for one with horizontal bars.

DD63D67A-7B62-4458-83EE-C4113317A2DA.jpeg

Partial pics that show some of the other platforms:

540E1AA8-28E1-4FEA-B76F-D435DBA25A42.jpeg

B32455CE-8351-442E-9E84-86627CC6FB9C.jpeg

A picture that kind of shows her little feet:

CCEF1D8E-CAA4-4484-B0AD-8FB257CEEB4B.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for sharing!!
I would love to try those seagrass cargo net things, but always worried over them. I don´t think they would work for my little girl but I´m glad they were good for you.

I should have said before, Adelies flight cage looks like that, but it all horizontal bars :)

I'm beginning to think foot problems are more common in lovebirds than other species.
I don´t think so. Feet problems are just one of those things. I think it is just coincidence that we all bumped into each other here :)
It certainly is helpful to know other people in similar boats though!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara could you provide me with a link or at least the make/model of the flight cage you recommended?
The one Adelie had was 18x18x30.
I believe they call them ¨finch breeder cages¨
These ones seem to have a grate in, but I´m sure you could remove it, or you could lay paper on top of the grate.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I first moved her in with her cage mate into the flight cage, he had been spending caged day time in her cage, but sleeping in his.,
(the box was Sydneys bed and quickly got removed),
That is thick card lining the bars,
Screenshot_20201002_122650.jpg
It worked really well but eventually she would just shred it all the time so I stopped putting it in,
Screenshot_20201002_122701.jpg
Screenshot_20201002_122713.jpg
Napping on the boing,
Screenshot_20201002_122729.jpg
Screenshot_20201002_122738.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Recent video of her up on the Y perch,

older vid of her playing football, her fave;

this was her favourite ball, I always buy these ones if I spot them for backups, I also have to remove it at night from the cage or she´ll be playing with it first thing in the morning maknig a lot of noise and waking everyone up;

BirdLady13

42669458-C3AB-4196-B99C-94CE744DEFDB.jpeg DC2FA58C-2481-493F-8319-B5943A63E4AF.jpeg
I love these nearly identical cages. Do you guys know where I can get one with the horizontal bars as opposed to vertical? The little guys feet don’t seem to stop him from running around on the bottom of the cage, but I want to make climbing as easy as possible for him.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Dona and @Leih have the same cage as mine but it´s a differente brand. I think one is Kings, and the other may be HQ but I can´t remember.
Mine is a European brand but they use the same design, so you won´t get my brand in the US.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Dona and @Leih have the same cage as mine but it´s a differente brand. I think one is Kings, and the other may be HQ but I can´t remember.
Mine is a European brand but they use the same design, so you won´t get my brand in the US.
Yes, Dona's is Kings and mine is HQ.