• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting my first Amazon

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It looks like you are getting a baby Blue-fronted Amazon (BFA)? Congrats, they are great companions and I love them! I hope you will stay and let us watch him/her grow up.

BFAs are known as one of the "hot three" Amazons, this means the males have a reputation for some difficult, agressive behaviors during hormone season when they become sexually mature around 5 years old (give or take).

Possibly the person is worried that having a female Galah and a male BFA will make this behavior worse. I don't think so in this case. Such different species cannot breed but if they bond closely as friends no matter the sex, it could provoke territorial behaviors. My Goffin and Amazons want nothing to do with each other in any way, except for providing someone for a screaming duet. My male wild-caught Goffin really would have liked to rumble with my male wild caught BFA. They were kept on different floors of the house.

It is more likely that a mismanaged male BFA will think of YOU as a mate and cause problems. I'd suggest training your baby to step up on a stick so in the future if he is wound up you can move him without getting bitten. Also don't pet him anywhere except the head; petting on the body sends the wrong message about your relationship. Please read this to avoid setting him up for problems Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine and I highly recommend doing positive reinforcement/clicker training with him/her.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ahhhhh a baby......

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats & Good Luck with your new baby

No idea about the same or opposite sex of different species but males can be harder to handle when hormonal.

Galah is a high powder bird & care has to be taken to avoid the Amazon having respiratory problems from breathing the dust.
Please make sure to get good air filtration.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi

I am getting my first Amazon soon and I already have a Galah. I was told that I should make sure the Amazon and Galah are both the same sex? I am just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true and why?

pic of my new baby
Such cuties!!

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Hi

I am getting my first Amazon soon and I already have a Galah. I was told that I should make sure the Amazon and Galah are both the same sex? I am just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true and why?

pic of my new baby
My Munchy is 28 today 2022,never been sick and always very active every Sunday he does his wild call I allow it he trained me, bluefront are excellent birds with all the colors, besides macaws. Here’s current pic of Munchy sep2 2022 28 years young

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My Munchy is 28 today 2022,never been sick and always very active every Sunday he does his wild call I allow it he trained me, bluefront are excellent birds with all the colors, besides macaws. Here’s current pic of Munchy sep2 2022 28 years young
This is an older thread, the member you quoted has not been back here since not long after making their post here in this thread- it is very unlikely they will read or reply to you.