• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting advice

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi all!
I’m considering adopting an Eclectus (adult) with both males and females looking for a forever home - mostly “domestic” lost and unclaimed.

Has anyone on here had experience with this and how did it go for you?

Lots of conflicting info online - did you find they were confident birdies or have some acute challenges?

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I adopted my female Eclectus a while ago. There were definitely some challenges, she plucks, was extremely picky about food, and the hormones at the beginning were awful. I love Mel with all my heart but for someone new to ekkies, and from my experience with them, I would wholeheartedly recommend a male Eclectus. Do you know about their diet, do you have any specific questions? They're very different from other birds.

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I adopted my female Eclectus a while ago. There were definitely some challenges, she plucks, was extremely picky about food, and the hormones at the beginning were awful. I love Mel with all my heart but for someone new to ekkies, and from my experience with them, I would wholeheartedly recommend a male Eclectus. Do you know about their diet, do you have any specific questions? They're very different from other birds.
Thank you so much! I've had budgies, lovebirds, quakers, green cheeks - and have babysat lorys, cockatoos and galahs. Met a couple of Ekkies but obviously haven't had one.

Do you find once settled she enjoyed getting out and about or do they tend to want to stick around areas they are comfortable with? Reason I ask is that to help with socialization and engagement I like to take my birds on appropriate outings (eg getting a take away coffee with a friend, going to a friends for a visit etc.).

I've often heard they are described as very emotional and not liking change - what are some examples of this?

How do they go as 'only children'? - I work full time, and can commit to at least 3 hours out of cage time per day. I was also looking at a Galah however think they are going to be a bit too demanding for what I can offer. Do like a bird with a little independence.
I currently have one baby lovebird I've hand reared after being dumped with me - however am working with a breeder on getting it a little birdie pal post DNA testing as it's realllllly imprinted on humans (vet suspects it was pulled too young) and concerned it won't get the life it deserves if I encourage it's behaviour.

Also noise levels - I've seen that they are mostly quiet however the boy at the centre I'm working with has been returned from a foster home for being too noisy. Is that normal for them, or could it have been indicative that he was a little bored etc?

The centre I'm looking to adopt one from is all over the diet side of things thank you! Any tips are helpful but they have been transitioned onto a diet specific for them prior to adoption.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Do you find once settled she enjoyed getting out and about or do they tend to want to stick around areas they are comfortable with?
With any bird, especially rescues its gonna take them some time. Mel still doesn't love going places but she's getting better. She used to only stick to the living room and my room but now she ventures around the house wherever we are. On the other hand, Basil, who is not a rescue. Loves the attention of going places and car rides etc. It will depend on your bird.

I've often heard they are described as very emotional and not liking change - what are some examples of this?
This is most definitely true, for at least Mel who is especially sensitive. When I would go anywhere overnight or not even sleep in the same room as her (fall asleep on the couch for instance) like she's used to, she'd pluck more. Before she got used to having a variety of food with us, she'd pluck when we didn't give her what she was used to.

How do they go as 'only children'? - I work full time, and can commit to at least 3 hours out of cage time per day.
Honestly for any larger parrot like an eclectus I'd wait until you can commit to at least 5 hours.

Also noise levels - I've seen that they are mostly quiet however the boy at the centre I'm working with has been returned from a foster home for being too noisy. Is that normal for them, or could it have been indicative that he was a little bored etc?
They're quieter more often, not in terms of volume, than my other birds, especially my smaller ones. But Mel will scream randomly and it is ear piercing. Not apartment friendly for sure.

The centre I'm looking to adopt one from is all over the diet side of things thank you! Any tips are helpful but they have been transitioned onto a diet specific for them prior to adoption.
I personally don't feed pellets at all, I will give them a tablespoon of Tops once every 2 weeks so they stay used to it, just in case something were to happen, like an emergency where we couldn't be there and they had to be fed pellets from someone for a bit. Otherwise I feed 55% fruit 30% vegetables 5% seed, 10% sprouts.

Sorry I responded so late!