• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a little BOY budgie on Monday!!! HELP....

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Hey there! I can tell you that you are definitely wanting to do what is best for your new guy. Right now my 'keets have a flight cage with a width of 24, and it's pretty tall to. After having my females for alittle over a year now I am really happy to share what I've found out about them with you. If he is going to be anything like any of my girls he will be afraid of new toys for afew days. It's kinda funny to watch em stare at the new toy and slowly approach. They like toys they can chew up. rough perches, wooden ladders on budgie jungle gems, and the sort. and also mirrors. they don't care for foraging toys, which I find strange. I wish you luck with getting him to eat a balanced diet. I have tried a number of ways to get my birds to eat fruits and veggies, but after reading some suggestions like hanging food as decorations for them. I'd be interested to hear back from you on what you find to work for you. You are in for aworld of fun though. Males are usually gentle and take to you right away. Their antics are funny. Budgies have a way of telling you the way it is. I love to talk to Charlie and talk to him, and he chirps back; puffing out his "beard" and sings back. If I reply something contrary to what he's telling me. (i.e. me saying "yeah right, i dont believe you") he will talk, sing and chirp with more gusto!! It's so endearing. I look forward to hearing from you and stories about how things go.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Hey there! I can tell you that you are definitely wanting to do what is best for your new guy. Right now my 'keets have a flight cage with a width of 24, and it's pretty tall to. After having my females for alittle over a year now I am really happy to share what I've found out about them with you. If he is going to be anything like any of my girls he will be afraid of new toys for afew days. It's kinda funny to watch em stare at the new toy and slowly approach. They like toys they can chew up. rough perches, wooden ladders on budgie jungle gems, and the sort. and also mirrors. they don't care for foraging toys, which I find strange. I wish you luck with getting him to eat a balanced diet. I have tried a number of ways to get my birds to eat fruits and veggies, but after reading some suggestions like hanging food as decorations for them. I'd be interested to hear back from you on what you find to work for you. You are in for aworld of fun though. Males are usually gentle and take to you right away. Their antics are funny. Budgies have a way of telling you the way it is. I love to talk to Charlie and talk to him, and he chirps back; puffing out his "beard" and sings back. If I reply something contrary to what he's telling me. (i.e. me saying "yeah right, i dont believe you") he will talk, sing and chirp with more gusto!! It's so endearing. I look forward to hearing from you and stories about how things go.

Thank you JayByrd! I do think this is going to be an adventure for sure with all the stories I have hear about budgies already!! I do have tons of embeddable toys and different types of perches for him already.....with how "cautious" they are I plan on letting him get settled before I start to switch out toys and then when I do I will do it slowly ~ one at a time till he gets use to the new toy then the next as an attempt to not stress him out!!! I will post on the feeding adventure and the antics that this little one brings to our home!! I would love to see pics of you keets sometime!!! :dancing:

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
Awww he's so cute!... For some reason the name Peapod lept into my head.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Yoshi came home yesterday!! He is so little!!! He is settling in well & I've seen him eat but not drink....should I be concerned? Or do you think he's drank when no one is looking?

He's been singing a bit already though he sits in one spot for the most part still.....I can tell that he is watching, taking everything in. When we talk to him sometimes he will answer back with little sweet chirps ~ so adorable!!

Yesterday after he was here for about an hour or so I realized that one of the toys wasn't secured completely which meant I had to reach in the cage....well he got out & flew around before trying to land on top of his cage slipping off and falling behind the cabinet :( So I slowly reached under & he just calmly sat there allowing me to pick him up without even biting me!! I put him back in his house and fixed the toy ~ next thing I know he moved closer so I kept my hand still & Yoshi climbed on without fear or hesitation! I didn't move & let him sit while he stretched both wings & legs out then he calming stepped down with a little chirp. I was so surprised & rewarded him with a "Good Boy!" Today he stepped up more with me & my oldest who's 12! :dance5:

I think over time we are gonna have one super friendly keet on our hands! :heart:

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday :xflove: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is adorable! :)

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
I find that talking gently to them is a good start too. He's so cute! I often sit beside a new bird's cage and read out loud to them.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He is adorable! My boy's name is Pip. If you like it, feel free to use it. I named him after Pip in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

It looks like he has lots of toys! My two parakeet boys love activitoys. Some of their toys arent that great, but they LOVE the one with the basketball hoop and the one with the birds on a wire. Also, they really like swings, balsa wood, and rope boings.

What cage did you get?

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
Aww he's as cute as a button. He looks identical to my little Shamrock a very happy little guy as well. :laughing12:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
He is adorable! My boy's name is Pip. If you like it, feel free to use it. I named him after Pip in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

It looks like he has lots of toys! My two parakeet boys love activitoys. Some of their toys arent that great, but they LOVE the one with the basketball hoop and the one with the birds on a wire. Also, they really like swings, balsa wood, and rope boings.

What cage did you get?
He is in a smaller cage for now (18x18x22) until I find the cage I want to get. It's actually my GCC's travel cage! Yes! He has a few toys but he hasn't really played to much yet except jumping on the boing at times. He's still pretty quiet since he has only been here just over 24hrs now. He has chirped some when we talk to him or when we are sitting next to him ~ He watches us with curiosity contantly tilting his head side to side. He hasn't eaten much today but maybe he eats and drinks when no one is watching? Haven't seen him drink any water yet so hoping he has when we aren't around.....

We decided to name him Yoshi....means respectful in Japanese and the kids like it because of Yoshi in the Mario game :roflmao:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: Thanks for adopting instead of buying from a Mill..we Should set you as an inspiration. ..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's fine if he doesn't eat within the first 24-48 hours! Some birds are so freaked out they don't feel comfortable eating at all! Placing food up high or even millet next to a perch may help!

Here are some ideas on cages though.... the first is a double stack flight cage, although it has 27" height instead of 35" as the single flight cages have.

13221-2 White

There's also this cage which has 20-something height, but is wider and longer than the flight cages. Never seen the cage in person but it appears to have both large and small doors, plus food doors, and a nifty storage area beneath the cages!

Reliance Cages & Supply Inc, Hayward, CA USA - reliancediscountcages.com

I'm thinking at least one double stack may be the way to go if you want to provide a lot of room without compromising much on indoor space or room for the birds! I was considering going double stack for a while, so I've gathered a few different links! :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
It's fine if he doesn't eat within the first 24-48 hours! Some birds are so freaked out they don't feel comfortable eating at all! Placing food up high or even millet next to a perch may help!

Here are some ideas on cages though.... the first is a double stack flight cage, although it has 27" height instead of 35" as the single flight cages have.

13221-2 White

There's also this cage which has 20-something height, but is wider and longer than the flight cages. Never seen the cage in person but it appears to have both large and small doors, plus food doors, and a nifty storage area beneath the cages!

Reliance Cages & Supply Inc, Hayward, CA USA - reliancediscountcages.com

I'm thinking at least one double stack may be the way to go if you want to provide a lot of room without compromising much on indoor space or room for the birds! I was considering going double stack for a while, so I've gathered a few different links! :)
Unfortunately I don't have the room for either of those cages or the money :arghh: maybe one day though :joyful: For now I'll need to go a tad smaller :angelic:

Last edited:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Yoshi is eating much better and even tried chop today but I had to mix in some seeds for bribery:lol:but it worked :dancing:

He is still pretty quiet & not to sure about playing with his toys yet but the cutest thing is that my 18 week old love bird has learned to chirp like a keet! Yoshi & Pickles will chirp like keets back & forth from different rooms as Yoshi is in quarantine :heart:I have a feeling the 2 are gonna be great friends in time & they are about the same age :hug8:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:dance4: ...awesome. ...