• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a green cheek help!

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
Hello!! My husband and I decided to adopt a green cheek. We've been spending time with it for two weeks and decided that in two more weeks we will be bringing it home. However it's been sleeping in one of those snuggy bed things(picture attached) I know those beds are bad but can I instantly just take it away from him since he knows it and loves it??? Also he's been on a terrible diet of just seeds and fruit. Any advice to help him switch to pellets and veggies would be greatly appreciated. We have done our research but first hand experience is always nice to read

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
The thing with huts is that the more they love it, the bigger the problem it is. It's just best to take it out. With the diet you can start introducing veggies and pellets from day one :) there are some great sources here for transitioning your bird to a healthier diet.

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
The thing with huts is that the more they love it, the bigger the problem it is. It's just best to take it out. With the diet you can start introducing veggies and pellets from day one :) there are some great sources here for transitioning your bird to a healthier diet.
I guess I'll just take it as soon as he comes home. I hate to shock him all at once but his care hasn't been the best and I'm his third home. He's very sweet people just haven't had time for him. His last home he was loved just not cared for if you know what I mean! Thank you so much!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a ringneck not a green cheek, but I've heard of some people using a seagrass mat to make a little platform for them to lay on, that allows you to have it on a spot where they won't be in a dark little hidey hole.

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
I have a ringneck not a green cheek, but I've heard of some people using a seagrass mat to make a little platform for them to lay on, that allows you to have it on a spot where they won't be in a dark little hidey hole.
I'll look into that I've never heard of that thank you!! Indian ring necks are beautiful birds!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
You can also get one of those sea grass mats ( I find mine in the reptile/hamster section as bailey likes to play with the toys I hang on it, comes in different sizes) and shape it into a triangle if he must have the ‘cave feeling’. Nothing for him to choke on, plus something new to chew up.

New home, new cage, etc is best time to take it away from him as everything is new for him to get used to.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thread and fuzz ingesting from any source is a danger, from rope toys or perches, clothing. As it builds up and causes crop impaction. Thats why those extra fluffy fuzzy tents are a danger. ( if you pull on one lots of fuzzy and threads are easily pulled loose) But a graphic article i found with crop impaction photos, ( most deceased) showed threads from rope perches as the biggest culprit. So if they ever become chewed in or frayed they need replacement. One of my parrots can't have any rope perches in her cage as she heavily chews them in a single day. But does well out if cage with them.

I do use the slightly safer fabric ones ( replacement if chewed) and there are also now some that are made from material simular to camping tent or garden flags. There are also large cardboard tubes sold . As well as the seagrass mats.

I think having a visual retreat for roosting can be beneficial even if its just a large toy hung in front of a high perch.

Anyway I guess I'm an outlier as I've always used sleep tents for my quakers and conures without issues. ( at least known ones) My first lived 17 years with one. I have all girls. No eggs. Save my youngest quaker who laid one at 5 months old, and a couple of years later ( this year laid one) but she didn't use her tent. She chewed up stuff and created a nest in a food bowl. Some species and any individual that gets Hormonal issues definitely shouldn't have any , or dark spaces.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Is that a photo of the green cheek? Because that looks like a parottlet to me. @Laurie sells some nice hideouts. Here is an example.

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
Is that a photo of the green cheek? Because that looks like a parottlet to me. @Laurie sells some nice hideouts. Here is an example.
It's a screenshot off the internet to show the hut he has because I forgot to take a picture while I was visiting him lol

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
You can also get one of those sea grass mats ( I find mine in the reptile/hamster section as bailey likes to play with the toys I hang on it, comes in different sizes) and shape it into a triangle if he must have the ‘cave feeling’. Nothing for him to choke on, plus something new to chew up.

New home, new cage, etc is best time to take it away from him as everything is new for him to get used to.
Thank you so much I just looked those up to buy!!! You all have been so incredibly helpful! I've also attached a screenshot of the deminsions of the current cage he will come with to see what you guys think of the size

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

Samthomp26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samantha thompson
Thread and fuzz ingesting from any source is a danger, from rope toys or perches, clothing. As it builds up and causes crop impaction. Thats why those extra fluffy fuzzy tents are a danger. ( if you pull on one lots of fuzzy and threads are easily pulled loose) But a graphic article i found with crop impaction photos, ( most deceased) showed threads from rope perches as the biggest culprit. So if they ever become chewed in or frayed they need replacement. One of my parrots can't have any rope perches in her cage as she heavily chews them in a single day. But does well out if cage with them.

I do use the slightly safer fabric ones ( replacement if chewed) and there are also now some that are made from material simular to camping tent or garden flags. There are also large cardboard tubes sold . As well as the seagrass mats.

I think having a visual retreat for roosting can be beneficial even if its just a large toy hung in front of a high perch.

Anyway I guess I'm an outlier as I've always used sleep tents for my quakers and conures without issues. ( at least known ones) My first lived 17 years with one. I have all girls. No eggs. Save my youngest quaker who laid one at 5 months old, and a couple of years later ( this year laid one) but she didn't use her tent. She chewed up stuff and created a nest in a food bowl. Some species and any individual that gets Hormonal issues definitely shouldn't have any , or dark spaces.
This was very informative thank you so very much!!!