• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Galah

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi all - I’m on the verge of adopting a Galah and am wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? Shelter works with “domestic” birds - most lost/unclaimed without much info on their prior life.

Have had parrots before (Quaker/GCC/Lovebirds/Lory) however haven’t adopted, or had a Galah.

How old was your baby when you got them? Some of the ones at the centre are 2 - 20 odd years old.

Were you able to harness train your older adoptee? If not what ways do you incorporate them into your life?

Any other words of advice on adopting?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! Galahs are so beautiful. All my current birds are rescue birds. My goffin is wild caught. So we don't know his age but he's at least 29. My tiels are 21 and 31. They are all wonderful. An older bird can bound with you just like a younger one. Age really doesn't matter.

I have not harnessed trained my birds but from my lack of trying. Not that they couldn't learn. My cockatoo does well with a schedule. I don't know if other cockatoo owners find that helpful or not. Elvis, my too, is a ball of energy. I think Galahs are not as high energy as goffins. So keeping Elvis on a schedule cuts down a lot on his screaming. Cockatoos are smart and definitely keep you on your toes. They need to be mentally stimulated. So lots of toys, big cage, out of cage time etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh, I forgot to add, my tiels were 20 and 30 when I got them and Elvis was at least 25.