• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting A Cockatoo In The Future

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
:)So i can't help but mention my plans. I need to talk about it lol. One more bird. Possibly in a few years or sooner. I have fallen in love with cockatoos. Have been for two years. Of course, any species is an option. Big or small. As long as she/he connects with me. I am excited to adopt one day, as you can tell I can't help myself. But it will probably be a long while. My favorite two are Sulfer Crested and Umbrella. Next would be Goffins. The rescue mainly has sulfer crested so that is the most likely.

I have started compiling lots of resources I may need in the future. Feel free to share advice and resources, especially relating to cockatoos. (Drop some screaming Too videos if you want!). I want to be as prepared as possible. I want to be the best possible home. I want to do it right.

One question I have related to time. Has anyone waited to adopt vs adopting right now? Was it worth the wait or do you wish you'd started your journey earlier? Or for those who did adopt, do you wish you'd waited?

I plan on waiting on adopting possibly until I move. I'm not sure when is the right time. But I could afford to adopt sooner. My current household is active and noisy. I have a lot of animals in the house, and a lot of humans. I also feel I cannot adopt while I have Felix. Combining his constant noise and a cockatoos' might really upset my roommates. One or the other would be more manageable. Those are my biggest reasons to wait.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I started with birds right after I got married at 25. I wish I had waited :lol: I had to move with birds 5 times over the last 9 years and it sometimes was very stressful.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are going to have roommates? Not a good situation with your birds and people who you can't control.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggest mytoos.com. It's a good website & the one that convinced me that large parrots weren't for me.

As for waiting to adopt, yes, I did, & I bitterly regret it. I should have gotten the little, red canary for a penny a year ago this month. Not recommended. :( That said, this was a canary, not a cockatoo, so more than a bit different.

If you've any doubts about your living situation, interactions with other people or pets, etc., I'd wait.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There are many, many cockatoos out there in need of good homes. So, it's wonderful that you're wanting to adopt. And interesting that your rescue gets a lot of Sulfer Crested 'toos. We don't see that many here. I would NOT get a cockatoo if you have roommates. They will hate you. Seriously. There are days I think by fiance hates me because of Elvis and I know he actually loves us both. Cockatoos scream and they are loud. Also, cockatoos need space. I live in a house and I wish I had more space for him. I don't know what your space situation is with your roommates but just keeping a cockatoo in one room all the time doesn't really work unless it's a really, really big room. Also, one thing to keep in mind too is the mixing of beak sizes. I never let my 'too out with my 'tiels. So, that's double the time I need to commit to my birds. And I always feel like the tiels get the short end of the stick because they're so mellow and chill and Elvis is so demanding. So, I think in the case of a cockatoo, you really need to make sure you're in a "stable" situation and also financially prepared. Elvis costs me easily 4 times more a month than my two tiels combined do. When Elvis is in toy destruction mode, he can easily destroy 2-3 toys a day, compared to my tiels going through maybe 2-3 a month. I don't want to discourage you because I know you are a good bird owner and like I said, there are so many cockatoos in need of a good home. But just make sure you're in a place in your life that you're ready for it. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree, no roommates with cockatoos.
It's not the volume so much, but the constant repetitive cries that can drive you up the wall.
A cockatoo demanding attention is hard to impossible to ignore.
Someone not vested in a lifetime cockatoo commitment, may commit cockatoo murder.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I started with birds right after I got married at 25. I wish I had waited :lol: I had to move with birds 5 times over the last 9 years and it sometimes was very stressful.
Interesting. 5 times is a lot! I want to be as committed as possible, so waiting does seem to be better. Do birds adjust well to moves?

You are going to have roommates? Not a good situation with your birds and people who you can't control.
I actually currently have roommates. I am hoping to change to a situation where I live alone with my pets. My current roommates are "nice", but I see your point:yes3: We've seen those situations on these forums.

I suggest mytoos.com. It's a good website & the one that convinced me that large parrots weren't for me.

As for waiting to adopt, yes, I did, & I bitterly regret it. I should have gotten the little, red canary for a penny a year ago this month. Not recommended. :( That said, this was a canary, not a cockatoo, so more than a bit different.

If you've any doubts about your living situation, interactions with other people or pets, etc., I'd wait.
I have actually read the majority of that site. But a re-read is a great idea!
:( That is sad. I sometimes see sad situations that I want to reach out to the bird. We can't adopt them all. There is a cockatoo I feel for, who has been at the rescue for 8 years!!! But I'm trying not to fall for the hard cases.
There are many, many cockatoos out there in need of good homes. So, it's wonderful that you're wanting to adopt. And interesting that your rescue gets a lot of Sulfer Crested 'toos. We don't see that many here. I would NOT get a cockatoo if you have roommates. They will hate you. Seriously. There are days I think by fiance hates me because of Elvis and I know he actually loves us both. Cockatoos scream and they are loud. Also, cockatoos need space. I live in a house and I wish I had more space for him. I don't know what your space situation is with your roommates but just keeping a cockatoo in one room all the time doesn't really work unless it's a really, really big room. Also, one thing to keep in mind too is the mixing of beak sizes. I never let my 'too out with my 'tiels. So, that's double the time I need to commit to my birds. And I always feel like the tiels get the short end of the stick because they're so mellow and chill and Elvis is so demanding. So, I think in the case of a cockatoo, you really need to make sure you're in a "stable" situation and also financially prepared. Elvis costs me easily 4 times more a month than my two tiels combined do. When Elvis is in toy destruction mode, he can easily destroy 2-3 toys a day, compared to my tiels going through maybe 2-3 a month. I don't want to discourage you because I know you are a good bird owner and like I said, there are so many cockatoos in need of a good home. But just make sure you're in a place in your life that you're ready for it. :)
Is Elvis jealous when you spend time with the 'tiels? Loudly jealous? I have wondered if a cockatoo would be really loud if they knew I was giving the little birds attention? Do spend time with the 'tiels in the same room as (caged) Elvis or are they completely separate during that time?
I am actually glad of the support on this thread. It's exactly what I need. I want to be the best owner I can be, and I know the rescue, and you guys, will make sure I'm ready. Thank you!

I agree, no roommates with cockatoos.
It's not the volume so much, but the constant repetitive cries that can drive you up the wall.
A cockatoo demanding attention is hard to impossible to ignore.
Someone not vested in a lifetime cockatoo commitment, may commit cockatoo murder.
Especially since I work, I agree. My roommates are nice, but probably not that nice.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@scrape my birds always did well with moves. The biggest issue was finding rentals that accepted them and then having neighbors that tolerated their noise without complaining (either to me or management).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Interesting. 5 times is a lot! I want to be as committed as possible, so waiting does seem to be better. Do birds adjust well to moves?

I actually currently have roommates. I am hoping to change to a situation where I live alone with my pets. My current roommates are "nice", but I see your point:yes3: We've seen those situations on these forums.

I have actually read the majority of that site. But a re-read is a great idea!
:( That is sad. I sometimes see sad situations that I want to reach out to the bird. We can't adopt them all. There is a cockatoo I feel for, who has been at the rescue for 8 years!!! But I'm trying not to fall for the hard cases.

Is Elvis jealous when you spend time with the 'tiels? Loudly jealous? I have wondered if a cockatoo would be really loud if they knew I was giving the little birds attention? Do spend time with the 'tiels in the same room as (caged) Elvis or are they completely separate during that time?
I am actually glad of the support on this thread. It's exactly what I need. I want to be the best owner I can be, and I know the rescue, and you guys, will make sure I'm ready. Thank you!

Especially since I work, I agree. My roommates are nice, but probably not that nice.
Elvis isn't really jealous of the tiels. He's actually a bit protective. Like if he hears Rosie calling for me upstairs, he starts to make his way back to his cage so Rosie can come downstairs. I do let the tiels out in the same room as Elvis but I keep the top of his cage covered. I don't let Elvis out with the tiels because he likes to land on their cages and they don't like it.

Eight years... that's sad.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis isn't really jealous of the tiels. He's actually a bit protective. Like if he hears Rosie calling for me upstairs, he starts to make his way back to his cage so Rosie can come downstairs. I do let the tiels out in the same room as Elvis but I keep the top of his cage covered. I don't let Elvis out with the tiels because he likes to land on their cages and they don't like it.

Eight years... that's sad.
I should add the tiels stay away from Elvis's cage. Rosie is afraid of him and Scooter is cautious.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:)So i can't help but mention my plans. I need to talk about it lol. One more bird. Possibly in a few years or sooner. I have fallen in love with cockatoos. Have been for two years. Of course, any species is an option. Big or small. As long as she/he connects with me. I am excited to adopt one day, as you can tell I can't help myself. But it will probably be a long while. My favorite two are Sulfer Crested and Umbrella. Next would be Goffins. The rescue mainly has sulfer crested so that is the most likely.

I have started compiling lots of resources I may need in the future. Feel free to share advice and resources, especially relating to cockatoos. (Drop some screaming Too videos if you want!). I want to be as prepared as possible. I want to be the best possible home. I want to do it right.

One question I have related to time. Has anyone waited to adopt vs adopting right now? Was it worth the wait or do you wish you'd started your journey earlier? Or for those who did adopt, do you wish you'd waited?

I plan on waiting on adopting possibly until I move. I'm not sure when is the right time. But I could afford to adopt sooner. My current household is active and noisy. I have a lot of animals in the house, and a lot of humans. I also feel I cannot adopt while I have Felix. Combining his constant noise and a cockatoos' might really upset my roommates. One or the other would be more manageable. Those are my biggest reasons to wait.
No sense beating around the bush. Are you literally ready to have a (handicapped) child? I'm serious. This is not like any other bird. If you are a young person who is not in charge of your own life with the resources to go along with it. YOU'RE NOT READY. This is a life altering decision of which the consequences of the decision are going to be for the rest of your life. There are no quitters in this game. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. If you're not extremely tough mentally or have "real" patience. You'll never be ready.

This is my standard response for those who want to throw a wrench into their machine of life.

1614739358299.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
No sense beating around the bush. Are you literally ready to have a (handicapped) child? I'm serious. This is not like any other bird. If you are a young person who is not in charge of your own life with the resources to go along with it. YOU'RE NOT READY. This is a life altering decision of which the consequences of the decision are going to be for the rest of your life. There are no quitters in this game. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. If you're not extremely tough mentally or have "real" patience. You'll never be ready.

This is my standard response for those who want to throw a wrench into their machine of life.

View attachment 375177
Wow. Very well explained. :) And you are so right about the calm demeanor. I can't stress the importance of that enough. The worst bite I ever got was because I didn't stay calm in a mishap. I panicked and so did Elvis. But I was the one who paid for it. LOL.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I had a male Unbrella and I don't know if I would recommend one to anybody. He was a very good bird in the sense he didn't act aggressive and demonstrated great patience when having to stay put in his cage for several days in a row. However, he was clingy and very dependent on me. He also was very jealous of anyone who came near me. The trouble with this second generation of large cockatoos is that they don't know they are a bird, they are very mixed up emotionally. My experience with my bare-eye was better because he knew he was a bird, thus he never mistook me for a mate.

I don't really know anything about the Sulphurs, but it is common knowledge that the U2s and M2s can be a problem. Have you tried looking into a breeder to see if they have any older birds available?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month

I thought about your words. For the question: Yes. I think I am ready. I know I would do better than my best for a (handicapped) child.

I have to admit I do not have perfect patience. But as someone who has worked with animals my whole life, and will continue to, I am building more patience. I am definitely not a quitter. Even if now isn't the right time, I know I am capable of keeping one of these parrots happy and healthy one day.

I had a male Unbrella and I don't know if I would recommend one to anybody. He was a very good bird in the sense he didn't act aggressive and demonstrated great patience when having to stay put in his cage for several days in a row. However, he was clingy and very dependent on me. He also was very jealous of anyone who came near me. The trouble with this second generation of large cockatoos is that they don't know they are a bird, they are very mixed up emotionally. My experience with my bare-eye was better because he knew he was a bird, thus he never mistook me for a mate.

I don't really know anything about the Sulphurs, but it is common knowledge that the U2s and M2s can be a problem. Have you tried looking into a breeder to see if they have any older birds available?
Jealousy is a big factor. With my current roommates involved, a jealous bird would be hard to deal with.
Do you mean available to purchase? I think I would prefer to not purchase a bird from a breeder or pet store, but I would consider one from a listing site. I have met 2 adult cockatoos currently for sale at stores. I like both of them, but haven't interacted with them much. I do volunteer at my nearest bird rescue and have bonded.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey
Just my thoughts, quality over quantity.

I dont have parrots. I have 2 soft billed birds, and these precious babies take up ALL my time, because the time I put into them includes daily(multiple) cage cleaning, water changes, fresh food, veggies, attention, flight time etc.

I honestly and truly can not comprehend how anyone has the time, energy and attention to care adequately for multiple birds.

No offense to those with multiple birds, it is just something I have had to come to terms with. As much as I dream of having parrots one day, realistically I know, bringing home another bird will only take away from the quality of care I am currently providing to my 2 previous birds.

In the end, quality of care, having the time, patience, and more importantly accepting our limitations allows us to give the babies we have now the best kind of care that they need.

I am probably going to come off really negative in the next paragraph, but I feel strongly about it and sometimes it just needs to be said.

If a bird owner is not cleaning bird paper, bird stands, offering fresh veggies, seed and large amounts of out of cage time, DAILY.....then that bird owner should not have another bird.

If a bird owner has more than enough time on their hands to bring home more birds...then they really are not providing the cleanest and healthiest environment for themselves or their birds.

The amount of time it takes to clean and care for birds properly, there wont be any extra time to spend on bringing in more birds.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I thought about your words. For the question: Yes. I think I am ready. I know I would do better than my best for a (handicapped) child.

I have to admit I do not have perfect patience. But as someone who has worked with animals my whole life, and will continue to, I am building more patience. I am definitely not a quitter. Even if now isn't the right time, I know I am capable of keeping one of these parrots happy and healthy one day.

Jealousy is a big factor. With my current roommates involved, a jealous bird would be hard to deal with.
Do you mean available to purchase? I think I would prefer to not purchase a bird from a breeder or pet store, but I would consider one from a listing site. I have met 2 adult cockatoos currently for sale at stores. I like both of them, but haven't interacted with them much. I do volunteer at my nearest bird rescue and have bonded.

Yes to purchase. As we sadly know birds can be returned to breeders for numerous reasons. I got my older BE from a breeder in Ohio who had been breeding cockatoos for over fifty years. As agreed upon during the intial sale he was returned to the breeder when the person's lifestyle changed dramatically and she could no longer keep him. Since the breeder had a strong code of not reselling birds the cost was focused on shipping and handling- I believe around ninety-five dollars.

The way I look at it: Whether it be breeders, pet stores, or shelters, you still end up spending money and you still end up rescuing a bird.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Hey
Just my thoughts, quality over quantity.

I dont have parrots. I have 2 soft billed birds, and these precious babies take up ALL my time, because the time I put into them includes daily(multiple) cage cleaning, water changes, fresh food, veggies, attention, flight time etc.

I honestly and truly can not comprehend how anyone has the time, energy and attention to care adequately for multiple birds.

No offense to those with multiple birds, it is just something I have had to come to terms with. As much as I dream of having parrots one day, realistically I know, bringing home another bird will only take away from the quality of care I am currently providing to my 2 previous birds.

In the end, quality of care, having the time, patience, and more importantly accepting our limitations allows us to give the babies we have now the best kind of care that they need.

I am probably going to come off really negative in the next paragraph, but I feel strongly about it and sometimes it just needs to be said.

If a bird owner is not cleaning bird paper, bird stands, offering fresh veggies, seed and large amounts of out of cage time, DAILY.....then that bird owner should not have another bird.

If a bird owner has more than enough time on their hands to bring home more birds...then they really are not providing the cleanest and healthiest environment for themselves or their birds.

The amount of time it takes to clean and care for birds properly, there wont be any extra time to spend on bringing in more birds.
I agree in a sense. But it totally depends on the person (and animals). Some people have more to give to animals than others. Everyone has their personal limit. In extreme cases, if one doesn't give enough and have too many to give to, one could become a hoarder.
I would not be considering a large parrot if my little birds weren't so independent and lower maintenance (for birds). My budgies do what they please, they aren't reliant on me. And my cockatiel is a rehome who prefers his own company. I want one more bird, and that's all.:) I know I can care for another animal, and I want to.

Yes to purchase. As we sadly know birds can be returned to breeders for numerous reasons. I got my older BE from a breeder in Ohio who had been breeding cockatoos for over fifty years. As agreed upon during the intial sale he was returned to the breeder when the person's lifestyle changed dramatically and she could no longer keep him. Since the breeder had a strong code of not reselling birds the cost was focused on shipping and handling- I believe around ninety-five dollars.

The way I look at it: Whether it be breeders, pet stores, or shelters, you still end up spending money and you still end up rescuing a bird.
True. I do feel bad for the birds I see at the stores, that have been there a while. They don't get that "home-environment" and special closeness to a person. The store owner can't spend all day with them. And attention for strangers isn't reliable.
I will look into it.:)