• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a blind Linnie today- any advice?

conlinnie

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all,

Today I'm adopting a baby Linnie with juvenile cataracts. According to it's owner, it is basically completely unable to see. It's been seen by a vet which I've verified independently, and the sole cause of it's blindness is the cataracts.

We have one bird - a sighted green cheek conure. I have not owned a blind animal before. Any advice would be extremely helpful as resources are scarce on the internet, especially for smaller birds. I will keep you all updated on this very exciting journey.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Thankyou for opening up your home to this little one ❤

First, remember to quarantine as best you can for at least one month.
After that, I´d recommend never leaving the blind bird with your conure unsupervised.

It will make your linnies life easier to create a setup and stick to it, so figure out what works, what he/she can manage (maybe you will need ramps, maybe not).
Always keep food and water in the same place. Opt for a silo water bottle over a bowl as to not have any accidents.
You may find they do better in a shorter cage as opposed to a tall one, double check with the current owner and get as much info as possible from them to make the transition smoother.
You can also line the cage floor with a soft blanket (non-pill fleece or an old duvet cover).

@Birdbabe @Budgiebonkers @hrafn

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also have a look at this section of the forum: Special Needs Crossing | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You will probably want a long, low cage rather than a tall one to reduce the risk of falls. You will also want to keep the layout as consistent as possible so she knows how to find her way around. It's particularly important to keep her food and water in the same place.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
check out special needs crossing for other posts !!

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
Also have a look at this section of the forum: Special Needs Crossing | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You will probably want a long, low cage rather than a tall one to reduce the risk of falls. You will also want to keep the layout as consistent as possible so she knows how to find her way around. It's particularly important to keep her food and water in the same place.

hah we posted the same thing

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! I have a charming green Linnie named Gigi. I have never had a special needs bird so I will be watching the replies as well. All the best to you! We would love to see a picture of your baby!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Thank you for helping this bird.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
First thing is set up his cage/ area with a couple flat perches. low perches, soft bottom , in case he would fall. Keep his food and water always in the same place, dont move it even an inch. I have a blind , one winged teil. Hes a floor bird. Though this may not work for you, Kiwi, knows his way around the bird room, knows where his food and water are..he sleeps on a flat perch in the corner of the cage with all the other teils, but I do need to bring him out and put him to bed. Thank you for helping this little bird. Alot of us have special babies, just ask, were here for you

Reactions: tka