• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Bird While in Highschool

fingrain

Moving in
Recently, I've been looking into adopting a bird after the unexpected loss of my cockatiel. Relatively, I'm very young, and just about every rescue that I looked at has a strict "no kids," "must be over 21," or "must own your own home" policy. While I completely understand the reasoning behind this, I was still incredibly disappointed.

I have a plan for college: the bird will be kept with my brother nearby and I will see it daily, or it will be kept at home and I will just have to come back every weekend. Either way, the bird will be around people who care about it, and it will be able to see me consistently.

Even for the short time that I had her, my cockatiel completely changed my life for the better. Put simply: I'm absolutely terrified of my life reverting back to the way it was before I had a bird. I have my heart set on adopting, but I'm not sure if it's even possible for me. Do you think rescues would be willing to bend the rules if a young person seemed qualified enough? I'm just not sure if it's even worth looking into further.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You seem to be in a position where adopting a bird is possible and not too stressing for either of you. I understand about not having a bird. Birds is an essential part of my life too. Just make sure your plan is secure, that there won't be possible changes to it that could end up in a rehomed bird :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A way around the rules would be to involve your parents and have them so the adopting. I doubt any rescue would bend the rules they’ve made- they’re made for the safety of the animals they’re rehoming.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
the unexpected loss of my cockatiel... Even for the short time that I had her...
I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't need to know what happened, but if it was preventable I would suggest addressing whatever led to her loss prior to assuming responsibility for a new bird.

fingrain

Moving in
A way around the rules would be to involve your parents and have them so the adopting. I doubt any rescue would bend the rules they’ve made- they’re made for the safety of the animals they’re rehoming.
Thank you for the response. I've thought about this, and I totally understand the reasons behind rescue rules, I'm just not sure if they would even consider an application once they found out that I would be the primary caretaker.

fingrain

Moving in
I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't need to know what happened, but if it was preventable I would suggest addressing whatever led to her loss prior to assuming responsibility for a new bird.
Absolutely! The last thing that I would want to happen is to lose another bird. I wasn't home when she died, she was with other family members who left her in a different room unattended. If I were to adopt another bird, I would ensure that someone was planning to watch it while I was gone, or (if it was only for a short amount of time) keep it in it's cage just for safety. Ofc, I wouldn't want to keep them in a cage all the time. My dad works from home, and during the school year he would usually have Ellie out during the day with him while he worked. I just can't help but think that if I would have put her cage just for the two hours I was at my night class, then she would still be here.

If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them as well.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
CraigsList and similar sites often have birds, especially budgies and cockatiels, looking for homes.
Some of these people are scammers so have your parents involved, and be sure to get a vet check asap.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Recently, I've been looking into adopting a bird after the unexpected loss of my cockatiel. Relatively, I'm very young (almost a senior in highschool), and just about every rescue that I looked at has a strict "no kids," "must be over 21," or "must own your own home" policy. While I completely understand the reasoning behind this, I was still incredibly disappointed.

I have a plan for college: the bird will be kept with my brother nearby and I will see it daily, or it will be kept at home and I will just have to come back every weekend. Either way, the bird will be around people who care about it, and it will be able to see me consistently.

Even for the short time that I had her, my cockatiel completely changed my life for the better. Put simply: I'm absolutely terrified of my life reverting back to the way it was before I had a bird. I have my heart set on adopting, but I'm not sure if it's even possible for me. Do you think rescues would be willing to bend the rules if a young person seemed qualified enough? I'm just not sure if it's even worth looking into further.
If you put a name to a face, volunteer with the rescue and let them really get to know you, I think there is a good chance they will let you adopt. Prove you are responsible and knowledgeable in person. Speaking from experience.

Edited to add your parents will have to take some liability if the adoption goes through. Not a big deal, but they need to agree.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And then what happens after college? What happens if you decide that you want to continue studying, or if the career you want to go into requires you to do internships or complete further training, or you need to move region or country? What happens if you struggle to find work? What if your career has weird hours or requires you to travel? What happens if you fall in love with someone who is allergic to feather dander?

What if the hypothetical bird bonds strongly with their daily caregivers and is totally uninterested in you?

The next ten years are going to involve a lot of change, much of which you won't be able to predict. It's hard to hear, but rescues have seen these situations before: when a committed young person with the best will in the world is unable to continue caring for their pet because of work, study and the many other commitments that you will have.

My advice is to not get a bird now. Do not try to wriggle around the rules. If you can spend time volunteering at a shelter, that will give you valuable experience and mean that you will still get to hang out with birds.

fingrain

Moving in
If you put a name to a face, volunteer with the rescue and let them really get to know you, I think there is a good chance they will let you adopt. Prove you are responsible and knowledgeable in person. Speaking from experience.

Edited to add your parents will have to take some liability if the adoption goes through. Not a big deal, but they need to agree.
Thanks for the idea! Most rescues near me are about an hour or two away/not accepting volunteers, but I'll definitely try looking more into it.

fingrain

Moving in
And then what happens after college? What happens if you decide that you want to continue studying, or if the career you want to go into requires you to do internships or complete further training, or you need to move region or country? What happens if you struggle to find work? What if your career has weird hours or requires you to travel? What happens if you fall in love with someone who is allergic to feather dander?

What if the hypothetical bird bonds strongly with their daily caregivers and is totally uninterested in you?

The next ten years are going to involve a lot of change, much of which you won't be able to predict. It's hard to hear, but rescues have seen these situations before: when a committed young person with the best will in the world is unable to continue caring for their pet because of work, study and the many other commitments that you will have.

My advice is to not get a bird now. Do not try to wriggle around the rules. If you can spend time volunteering at a shelter, that will give you valuable experience and mean that you will still get to hang out with birds.
Thank you for the concern. I've thought about this, and you may be right. I definitely want to be sure that I can give a bird the best life possible. I'm still wrestling with whether er or not to get a bird right now, and this has definitely helped. I want to be sure I make the right decision both for me and the bird! Living without a bird is very hard for me, but I don't want to prioritize that over the bird's long-term wellbeing. I think what I'm trying to say is that I definitely need to set on it longer so that I have time to more fully consider everything you've mentioned.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a college professor and trust me, very few of my students would be able to provide a bird with the lifestyle that I, as a settled adult, can offer them. They almost certainly have housemates who inevitably will use products containing teflon/PTFE/PFOA (you won't be able to vet every hairdryer or baking tray they bring into the house), burn candles or incense or will leave windows and doors open. Many of my students sinply don't have money to spend on expensive vet bills or food and toys for a bird. Most of them have part-time jobs which take up their evenings and weekends. Many of them are in university-owned accommodation (with a complete ban on pets) or rent privately (most landlords won't accept pets).

Birds are complex animals and it's hard for settled adults to meet their social, intellectual and physical needs. Trying to accomplish this as a young adult would be very difficult and stressful, and either your or the bird's wellbeing will suffer.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the issue with adopting is as a minor you can't enter into contracts. So, you can't sign any of the adoption papers. Perhaps if your parents are willing to do so, the family can adopt a bird. However, your parents would also likely have to comply with any other adoption requirements the rescue has.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I completely understand the love for parrots .

But I think it would be better to wait. To save up for your dream species and cage and accessories.

A bird that lived with someone else, that you saw some days or weekends isn't really your bird. You will have limited to no control in how it is interacted with or cared for. Most birds aren't very understanding of flock mates coming and going. Sometimes I have to be hospitalized ( thankfully not for a few years) and whether it's fir a few days or a week or more, it always disruptive to my birds. Often they hold a grudge or I need to reaffirm my bond with them.

One of my birds came from a college student. Working part time , dating, school load, after school fun and social activities ....no time to care for his parrot. It broke his heart, but for the safety and well-being of his bird he posted her and I agreed to take her.

fingrain

Moving in
Thanks for all the insights and responses. After hearing everything, and having a bit more time to think on it, I agree that getting another bird right now probably wouldn't be the best. I think I just needed to hear that from somebody else to really get it through my head. It will definitely be hard not to have a parrot to keep me company, but ofc the bird's wellbeing always comes first.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm glas you have wisdom. I saved and bought a sheltie ( dog) my senior year in high school. My first year if college was in my home town and I still lived at home . My second year i transferred, I got my own apartment and paid the pet fee. But my dog had become a family dog, he was an incredible epic dog. But he loved my mom and country life more. I loved him like crazy, we all did, he was also very expensive ( I paid for him and all his shots from my job money) I trained him , spent a lot of time trainnig him , heel, scent retrieve hidden objects the works. It hurt to let him stay with my family. I ended waiting till I finished college and then an internship, until I had my career job to get a another. I went to a shelter and asked for the oldest dog, they showed me the one who would be euthanized that week. I just had to pay 35 dollars for his tag . An amazing and utterly devoted mutt dog, the sweetest soul. I'd say it ended up working out I got to save and share his life. Zabo you are missed buddy .

I'm hoping when the time is right, you are equally blessed. That you will look back on this time and say it was worth the wait!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggest rehomed budgies from online classifieds. Don’t meet anyone alone & in a public place is best.