• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted Finch

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww Zippy is adorable! So cute! :)
Any news on finding him a buddy?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Not as of yet. I don't have enough rooms to have a second quarantine. In 2 weeks I will get another one in the bedroom and move Zippy to the main area, then after a month when I can ensure everyone is healthy I will introduce them to the new cage together. I am going to see about finding a little guy with black cheeks. It isn't super important, but if I do find one..would be a cute combo.
download (5).jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It would be nice to have a different colour just to make it a little easier to identify them from a distance :) The bird in the picture is beautiful.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We finally got another finch for Zippy. Peppy has been welcomed into our home.

Peppy is now in QT. It took us longer than I expected for another little guy to come up on our radar. Peppy seems to have a very energetic personality and is about the same size as Zippy. We did look at pet shops, but the finches were very gigantic compared to Zippy. We ended up getting Peppy for a very sweet lady who has been breeding for 20 years. so in a month when they are introduced I am hoping for the absolute best.

He has little white spots on his head :xflove: Photos incoming after I let him settle.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:heart2: I'm late to this thread. Welcome Zippy and Peppy. Sounds like two very apt names! :smuggrin:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You are so right! I really do need to post more! Zippy gets to free fly in the early morning when the parrots are feasting on veggies. His new favourite places are the curtain rod and the top of the fan blades. He hops around on the fan and you hear the adorable little hop scratch steps on the metal. Clearly fans are in the off position most of my life ;) Zippy is very human curious and when I bring my laptop to the dining room to work he hops on the curtain rod behind me and judges my work. He also sings to me and he sings to visitors. I can't hold him, because he is still a finch and has his ways. I don't mind just letting him do his thing and explore with his own comfort zone. He usually flies back to his house between 7:30- 8:10am so he gets 1-2 hours out. I tried letting him out in the evening before, but that was not a good idea. He wanted to make a roost in my hoya plant... we had to herd him back home for the night so he wouldn't sleep there. I can't stand upsetting the trust we have so I don't like hearding him. In the mornings he returns on his own, so that has worked for us.

In terms of mess he is just one finch.. and when Peppy joins him in his adventures I will have double the trouble...but finches are so easy to clean up after :) I do lay a towel over my fridge though..because that is where the hoya lives and he really like pooping off the edge of the leaves on the fridge :( LOL!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have such lovely and exciting news. After quarantine and a few days of letting the boys talk to each other from their seperate cages, I finally put the two lovely guys together in their new cage.

I haven't taken many pictures of Peppy until today. He was not calm with the camera around. He is much more comfortable with everything now.

Zippy and Peppy seem to be on the path to best friends. They are cuddled up and sleeping so close together it is precious. They also allopreened heaps today.

I took some photos and video of their introduction I will try and post those soon. I am just so happy! Poor little Zippy with his messed up wing, time in abandon and time at the rescue.. Peppy loves him even with his bad wing. They are so stinking cute!!!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such great news! Finches are adorable! And those names...:heart:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Zippy and Peppy sound like wonderful little finches! I’m so glad they both have such a wonderful home with you! Those are some very lucky little peepers!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I still have some video I would like to sort through, I will get to it some day :)

Zippy and Peppy have become super adorable besties. Zippy is much more human friendly. Peppy is still a bit skittish, but I do believe Peppy's human fear has lowered ever since he met Zippy. He sees how friendly Zippy is to me.

Zippy begging for some preening, bliss.

IMG_7180.JPG

Zippy showing Peppy the splendor that is pea shoots.

IMG_7188.JPG

Peppy agrees.

IMG_7184.JPG IMG_7182.JPG

Zippy enjoying some adventure time, a few of his favourite spots.

IMG_7161.JPG

He follows me into the bathroom. His right wing was broken at some point in his life and it didn't heal properly, so you can see his somewhat goofy but adorable feather. He can still fly, but is much slower and needs lots of breaks compared to Peppy. As far as I understand he was dumped at a vet's door step before he was surrendered to the rescue. So the injury must have been from either a wild encounter or a previous home. I don't really know his whole back story.

IMG_7151.JPG IMG_7153.JPG

Turns out chin-up bars make fantastic perches. You can see his right wing in this image too.

IMG_7159.JPG

Zippy is a really super little finch. I adore that he is so human curious and comfortable around the home. Peppy is still learning to trust humans, but Zippy is so much happier with a friend. They are in their larger cage. I bought one that I can roll out on the veranda. We haven't had much success with that yet, the miner birds have a nest nearby and have been VERY VERY aggressive so I haven't been able to leave the finches outside very long. My hope is to set it up so that they can fly around the home in the morning and get to spend sometime outside during the midday. We shall see what happens.