• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted Finch

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I adopted a zebra finch today that was at the RSPCA.

He has an injured wing, though he can fly. He was brought in by a local veterinarian, who found him on their door step. There wasn't a lot of history on him other than that. Not sure of his age or previous care.

He is very comfortable around people. He only just met me and is already talking to me and is very curious about me. Super friendly. His wing doesn't seem to bother him much.

He is home. I set up a small cage and I am keeping him in my bedroom for quarantine. I provided him with water, some seeds, some hay in a little bowl. It was late when we finally got home.. really bad traffic. He hopped in the hay and is sleeping in it. SO CUTE! Fluffy orange cheeks :xflove:

No photos yet. I will share when I know him a little better and cameras aren't scary. He is either a fawn or fawn cheek? But I am new to finches.

I talked to the RSPCA and I am going to be keeping my eye out to adopt some friends for him in the future.

Can someone please share a trusted web source on diet? I feel like I have read a bit of a mix. How are they on pelleted diets? Any suggestions?

He is named:: Zippy <3

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! Thankyou for taking in Zippy and what a cool name, I love it!

Do they think someone left the injured bird at the vets house? or was it coincidental? Either way, I´m glad the little guy is safe!

I can´t wait for the pictures!!!

RE diet, I´m sure @finchly can help :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi! That's so exciting!
Sounds like you have a zebra finch. If you want to keep him singly, that's ok, but finches really need to be kept in pairs. Even a boy-boy pair. They need company of their own kind.
Despite the pellet craze, finches do need some seed. You can go to the pet store and buy Kaytee seed, don't bother with the one with colored pellets already in it - they don't eat them. I use Roudybush Nibles pellets but Harrison's, Lafeber are also great. Get the smallest size. TOPS has a 'small' size that's way too big, it is the healthiest one but you have to chop it in a blender or serve it moistened.
They love fresh foods just like the big guys, except for the finches I cook the carrots, and I run everything in the food processor to make it TINY. They're not really big on fruit.

Here's a little bit more about diet. It says Gouldians but it applies to all finches.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Natalie - you're in Aus, sorry, I thought you were in Canada for some reason. But I'm sure you'll find a good seed mix, just maybe not the same brand as here.

Also since you said you will adopt friends, plural, for him - just a tip. They do well with 2 in a cage or 6+. But with 3-5, you'll have feather picking and bickering. And zebras breed worse than the proverbial rabbits, if you put M/F together be ready for a population explosion.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! Can't wait to see pics of Zippy!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@finchly I intend to get a friend for him as soon as the RSCPA has another little zebra. He was all alone there. I would have brought two home yesterday if I could. Great to know that I should keep 2, or 6+. I will plan on getting him one friend for now.

Thank you for the tip on the carrot. I read this after I made him a breakfast salad. I will start cooking the carrot for him tomorrow. I did shell the pea for him. There are also some hemp seeds and chia on this spread.

IMG_6350.JPG

This is why I always ask about pellet. Some species don't do well on them. There are a lot of sources that push pellet heavily, so you can't trust all the literature out there.
Vetafarm is a trusted brand in Australia. Though this has soy in it and is 21% protien. That seems high? What are your thoughts if I added a pinch of this to his diet?
Home - Vetafarm

Seed mix I have:
GoldenCob | Golden Cob Finch Mix

He was very happy, chirpy and bright when I was talking with him this morning. He doesn't stand off in the corner or show signs of panic.

I can't wait to take some photos for you all :)!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am happy that youre so excited about your finch. :) I know you will love him.

I think some of that pellet is ok, even though it is 21% protein. Since it won’t be the whole diet, he really won’t get 21% if you see what I mean.And your fresh veggies/seeds are great! He’s going to think he’s in heaven.

I do about 15% seed, 50% fresh foods and the rest is pellets.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Zippy :)

The cage isn't his permanent home, he is in quaratantine. He will move into a larger flight in my main living room after a month. These are two show cages connected and he can fly through both. I also made a hide area with fern and some mesh paper. He sleeps in the little nest and it is the cutest thing.

IMG_6356.JPG

Very friendly little guy. Isn't he gorgeous :xflove:

IMG_6364.JPG IMG_6371.JPG IMG_6369.JPG IMG_6374.JPG

You can see his messed up wing in the 3rd photo.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Beautiful! I've always loved the zebra finches.... the beep beeps.. they remind me of the old pac man game.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
AWWww He´s adorable!!!!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
I can't wait to share a picture of him all bundled up in his nest. Only his little eye peeping out :xflove::xflove::xflove:

I don't have the heart to paparazzi him in the evening yet. Maybe in a few days.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge