• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

adopted a moluccan. he acts completely different around my dad

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I cant add much at this time.

But I want to discourage any loud music/rock music, etc, that will cause him to "dance". It'll escalate any aggression. Do not do any loud singing or dancing around him. No "head banging" either when listening to music. It'll encourage aggression at this time.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
OH certainly don't give up. You can manage this and it will be worth it. Just don't give up, try not to take it personally when he bites or screams or seems to reject you, stay amazed at the wonderful creature he is and take on a zoo keeper's attitude. And as John suggested stay around here and learn, ask all the questions you need. You have found the absolute best bird forum on the internet with the most caring people; hands down! I count my lucky stars for me and my birds that I stumbled on this place.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Btw..where the heck is Beth? (tozie) She has a rescued M2 that came to her with a lot of fear. She would be a great one to chime in. Oh Beeettthh..yoo hoo!

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
Yes somebody with a fearful m2 experience would be great help.

I'm glad to of found this forum! I have saltwater tanks and am a member on a couple of saltwater forums so I figured there had to be a bird forum out there and I found this one.

Btw.. scooter doesn't seem to like being handed things through his cage. I tried to give him a treat through his cage and he flinched away and kept his back turned to me. And the two times anyone has been bit it was when he was on the cage. Is this being territorial of his cage? Or fear because somebody did something to him while he was in or on his cage?

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
Just to clarify before anyone suggests it.. I did not move very fast at all. I walked slowly to his cage and slowly lifted my arm but as soon as he saw my arm move near the cage he flinched turned around and ducked down

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes somebody with a fearful m2 experience would be great help.

I'm glad to of found this forum! I have saltwater tanks and am a member on a couple of saltwater forums so I figured there had to be a bird forum out there and I found this one.

Btw.. scooter doesn't seem to like being handed things through his cage. I tried to give him a treat through his cage and he flinched away and kept his back turned to me. And the two times anyone has been bit it was when he was on the cage. Is this being territorial of his cage? Or fear because somebody did something to him while he was in or on his cage?
Just to clarify before anyone suggests it.. I did not move very fast at all. I walked slowly to his cage and slowly lifted my arm but as soon as he saw my arm move near the cage he flinched turned around and ducked down
Look at this from the birds perspective for a moment. Right now the only thing that is even slightly familiar and safe to him is his cage. Everything else around him including you guys is new and unfamiliar. This will automatically make him wary and ever vigilante about anything happening around him. I told you it will take at least a month for such a large, intelligent, emotional bird to start feeling safe and secure to the point of letting his guard down. This whole game is about patience to let the bird evolve to how things will be on his timetable. It takes time and there is no shortcut. Baby steps.

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
I cant add much at this time.

But I want to discourage any loud music/rock music, etc, that will cause him to "dance". It'll escalate any aggression. Do not do any loud singing or dancing around him. No "head banging" either when listening to music. It'll encourage aggression at this time.
I didn't see this reply earlier
So will this always increase aggression? Or just now because he's still getting to know us? And what about other types of music? There's a spongebob tune that he likes to try to whistle to. Should I not even be playing that?

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
Look at this from the birds perspective for a moment. Right now the only thing that is even slightly familiar and safe to him is his cage. Everything else around him including you guys is new and unfamiliar. This will automatically make him wary and ever vigilante about anything happening around him. I told you it will take at least a month for such a large, intelligent, emotional bird to start feeling safe and secure to the point of letting his guard down. This whole game is about patience to let the bird evolve to how things will be on his timetable. It takes time and there is no shortcut. Baby steps.

Somebody had mentioned earlier in the thread that I should be giving him treats through his cage and talking to him while he's in his cage.. so since he's like this with his cage right now should I not be? Also I wanted to get him a new cage because his current cage is rusty and has paint peeling off but since it's the only thing familiar to him should I wait until he's more comfortable before I do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can get him a new cage but don't take the old one away until "he" makes the choice to use it. Set it up right beside his old one so he can get used to it and start to explore it. No timetable.

Yes offering treats is good, being relaxed and low key, calm soothing voice are all good. The point is to take your cues from the bird. If you do or offer him something and you can plainly see he is not comfortable with it by his reaction and body language then you back off for at least a few minutes. Let him regroup and try again but do not "force" anything. What you do and how you interact is all taken from the cues the bird gives you. You have to learn to "read" him and that takes keen observation and time to learn it.

There are no expectations. You take what he gives you for the time being. Having expectations (and especially on a human timetable) is the recipe for failure.

Last edited:

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
You can get him a new cage but don't take the old one away until "he" makes the choice to use it. Set it up right beside his old one so he can get used to it and start to explore it. No timetable.

Yes offering treats is good, being relaxed and low key, calm soothing voice are all good. The point is to take your cues from the bird. If you do or offer him something and you can plainly see he is not comfortable with it by his reaction and body language then you back off for at least a few minutes. Let him regroup and try again but do not "force" anything. What you do and how you interact is all taken from the cues the bird gives you. You have to learn to "read" him and that takes keen observation and time to learn it.

There are no expectations. You take what he gives you for the time being. Having expectations (and especially on a human timetable) is the recipe for failure.
Ok understood

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
And don't forget..you have many many years together. There is absolutely no rush.

moluccan326

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
That's true.. he will prob outlive me lol. The oldest recorded moluccan was 125 years old