• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted a 2.5 year old Parrotlet. Advice needed.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
@CarlyB I would say yes! She looks identical to my blue pacific female.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Possibly I know there's a thread about the bands, im going to look brb

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, I had my pixie for years and no way would she take a bath and hated to be sprayed. One day I hooked up our table top little fountain, and within minutes she was in it and the rest is history. I think it was the sound of running water that did it! We had her for 10years , but only discovered the fountain in the last year or so, the next p’lett we had as a baby and introduced him to it right away and he was ok with it...

I now have a GCC and had a lovie just before him, and they both had/have fun in a pie plate! too big for the fountain anyway :laugh:

Attachments

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
@Zara I tried looking, do you know where the thread for leg bands are. I am not good at searches lol

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Zara I tried looking, do you know where the thread for leg bands are. I am not good at searches lol

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Thank you!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The best way for determining sex is rump and primary wing feathers, especially the outmost edge of their feathers. I agree that she appears to be a female, though a photo of her rump may help :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
These are great examples! The rump feathers are unmistakable. The eye stripe can work, but there are plenty of females with them and males that lack them, so rump are much better. For some mutations only the edge of the flight feathers will show the male blue.

However, all and all we are lucky that parrotlets are so easy to sex. It helps us provide them the support they need. :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
However, all and all we are lucky that parrotlets are so easy to sex. It helps us provide them the support they need. :)
Agreed and they are just so darn cute! even in their feistiest moments lol

CarlyB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carly Blackwell
Thank you. Unfortunately, she doesn't allow me to get near her to see under her rump. She darts around the cage if I go anywhere near.

Her cage is next to my arm chair so I do sit near her and talk to her to throughout the day, until Freddie gets jealous and he has to have some attention too :rofl: .

I have tried the millet trick but she just isn't interested in me one bit :unsure1:

Gigibirds

I love this picture, my girl has a light blue tusshy lol
Ooh she has such pretty grey eyes!!! My girl has brown eyes, and I had no idea that they could be different!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
I have tried the millet trick but she just isn't interested in me one bit :unsure1:
Maybe some sunflower seeds? Chia seeds might be good too if you can get her to see you have it...I know some people have recommended pine nuts to me before but Paulie doesn't care for those.
Oh oh! Maybe some regular cheerios! You might want to make sure they are safe for P'lets but I used to use them as treats for my cockatiel back when I was a teenager per the advice of the store clerk.

Hope this helps!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Those are good treats my girl goes nuts for safflower seeds. But only when we’re training. Maybe drop a treat in while passing by so she starts to associate you with food equals good bird momma lol