• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Administering liquid medicine

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Anybody have a clue what food I can use?

Right now I'm using a tiny piece of wheat toast and putting the meds on it. I have to do this 2 times a day for Secret.

And yes, whatever I use, I also need to give some to MC.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Does Secret have an all time favorite? When I serve Lola and Henry their evening meal I mince apple and microwave it so it's soft ( 45 seconds) and put maybe 1/2 teaspoon in the center of that meal. I put Lola's meloxicam on top of the apple and she always eats it. I do the same for Henry should I ever need to give him any medicine. It's the first thing I look for when I retrieve those cups to see what and how much was eaten.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mix it into a blob of almond butter.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
With Howard I take a small piece of wheat bread and let the med soak into it than put a small amount of almond butter on both sides.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Jar baby food (Beechnut brand is pretty good) works.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
With Howard I take a small piece of wheat bread and let the med soak into it than put a small amount of almond butter on both sides.
I'm using the wheat bread right now and letting it soak in. Don't need the almond butter yet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
With Rocky I used apple sauce alot. Also tried yogurt like baby yogurt with mashed sweet potato in it . He would eat whole wheat toast but I saved it as a treat for eating his apple sauce. Also Dr Barb said that he could have it in sliced grapes. Not his favorite.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I've mixed it into thick plain Greek yogurt before and almond butter. Or in strongly flavoured juice (cherry juice). Ollie loves oranges so I injected Baytril into his orange pieces just recently... he sucked them clean. The vet told me to try injecting it into cranberries, but Ollie doesn't regularly pick them out.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No other foods it could soak into?

What about baby foods like.....

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Howard is on metacam and baytril again. We are still trying different things. If we give him too much almond butter he spits it out and if it's to wet he won't touch it. We hold him now to make sure he gets it now. Not fun but he needs it. Before Charlie passed he was on meds and had never had human contact. Not fun.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
No other foods it could soak into?

What about baby foods like.....

Take pellets, put in to a blender, hit puree for a few seconds till it's powder. Place in bowl, add your meds...it soaks into the pellets.
I have always had my birds spoon and syringe trained.
My grey gets a a couple 5 ml full syringes every nite of pureed veggies. Looks forward to it. By doing this if ever the time came when he needed meds, it wouldn't be hard at all.
The pic below is of sparky...he had to be soft food fed several times a day, twice a day he had to have meds...
Spoon feeding made the meds easy. In this photo I used very wet oat meal no salt or sugar, used a little powdered pellets, and powdered Cheerios, just a little. And make it runny, not a thick paste. Let cool and feed.
Sparky was very disabled, had to be fed this way constantly.
IMG_20170526_100420.jpg IMG_20170526_100427.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
None of mine will eat wheat bread... or almond butter. I stick to sweet cooked apple because it always works. Have you tried any Harrisons mash? Or any other mash? Whatever Secret loves the most is what I'd put the medicine on.. a very small amount first to make sure it's eaten and then a little more of the same after but not so much it gets boring. One of my last mixes I added butternut squash and and extra acorn squash... not a favorite to either so they eat less of their evening meal but that little bit of apple is always gone. It takes them a little while to adjust to a little different recipe. Both squashes taste a little sweet to me when cooked so what the heck.... if I like it they should love it! ( none of the littles want to eat those veggies in cooked chunks either ) If I held up even the tiniest syringe to give anything to either one it would not be met with anything other than a bite or back off like "Eeew... what's that!"