• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Administering liquid medicine

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
f I held up even the tiniest syringe to give anything to either one it would not be met with anything other than a bite or back off like "Eeew... what's that
I get it!

MSBS

Moving in
Real Name
Kathie
Awe :( Why do you feel eventually she won't eat it? Also, did your vet give you a little syringe to use? What is the doseage?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Hmm, perhaps oatmeal?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
How about baby (human) rice cereal with a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon on it ?

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Howard took his meds tonight. Wheat bread and smashed up banana kind of made it a paste. It worked for tonight. He needed a shower afterwards. 20200108_213129.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awe :( Why do you feel eventually she won't eat it? Also, did your vet give you a little syringe to use? What is the doseage?
They gave me a small syringe with a mark on it. It's about 8 drops (thought he told me 6 but I'm using their mark).

I'm putting it on a tiny piece of toast two times a day.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 that would be great but unfortunately Howard isn't spoon or syringe trained. I wish he was.
Hey Carol, should give it a try. Not hard to get them spoon or syringe train. Just about every bird I have had learned to eat from spoon , drink from a glass or cup, and a few was ok with syringe.
I have always stressed in past that repetition is the key. Birds learn and understand from repetition. When you break it, that's when they forget how it's done, what it means, how to say it and etc...repetition is very important in maintaining a birds memory and learning curve.
Sure birds can be afraid of the spoon, the bowl, the cup the syringe. You may not succeed the first several days of introducing it, but you start fresh the next day and the next.
Before you know it...the bird will take that first step forward and try it.
Be the example, birds watch you, they study you, they study your expression and excitement. Try the syringe yourself, show expression of how good it is. Same goes with spoon , cup, what ever.
Birds tend to try and accept things if they see your please and happy with it. They also watch other birds. If one likes it, the rest want to try it.
Poppers a was difficult at first with both syringe or spoon. But about 5 days she was trying both...... again repetition. You may not succeed the first few times or days...but you get there eventually.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Hey Carol, should give it a try. Not hard to get them spoon or syringe train. Just about every bird I have had learned to eat from spoon , drink from a glass or cup, and a few was ok with syringe.
I have always stressed in past that repetition is the key. Birds learn and understand from repetition. When you break it, that's when they forget how it's done, what it means, how to say it and etc...repetition is very important in maintaining a birds memory and learning curve.
Sure birds can be afraid of the spoon, the bowl, the cup the syringe. You may not succeed the first several days of introducing it, but you start fresh the next day and the next.
Before you know it...the bird will take that first step forward and try it.
Be the example, birds watch you, they study you, they study your expression and excitement. Try the syringe yourself, show expression of how good it is. Same goes with spoon , cup, what ever.
Birds tend to try and accept things if they see your please and happy with it. They also watch other birds. If one likes it, the rest want to try it.
Poppers a was difficult at first with both syringe or spoon. But about 5 days she was trying both...... again repetition. You may not succeed the first few times or days...but you get there eventually.
thank you Michael, it would really help at times like this!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's probably easier with the larger parrots, but this is how Hank (deceased) and Jasper have taken meds for 15+ years. I never trained them - I just used their trust to give them meds. They had to have those meds or they would have died and I wasn't going to let that happen.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
When I was treating Nikki for aspers she trusted me completely and knew she needed them. Howard the one on antibiotics now has never bit but fights the meds all the way.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's probably easier with the larger parrots, but this is how Hank (deceased) and Jasper have taken meds for 15+ years. I never trained them - I just used their trust to give them meds. They had to have those meds or they would have died and I wasn't going to let that happen.

That is such a good boy!! Looked like he was shaking his head no at first. Lol....
But the trust is definitely there. Getting the meds in is important, and making sure they get
The full doesage and not spit it out... Great video!!! Lovely bird!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
thank you Michael, it would really help at times like this!
Your welcome, everyone has a different way of doing it. My philosophy, go with what you and your bird feel comfortable with. You know your bird better than anyone, and know what works and what it's trust level is.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about using a regular keebler clubhouse cracker piece. I know salt but that's what my vet told me to put his palm oil on. Another idea, try some Gluten free bread pieces. Schar whole grain even has flax in it.

Last idea, Graham cracker. Or a piece of these...

I have 3 different types here, I believe... & I give Buddy 1/4 a night after fresh but before his little mini "seed time"

Caitec Apple Cinnamon Cookies 4 oz

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
With my Cookie Coojo, I split a walnut, poke holes in the nut and add the meds in there, he eats it out of the nut like a bowl lol. Walnuts are his very fav treat. He only gets med walnuts now so he will eat it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about using a regular keebler clubhouse cracker piece. I know salt but that's what my vet told me to put his palm oil on. Another idea, try some Gluten free bread pieces. Schar whole grain even has flax in it.

Last idea, Graham cracker. Or a piece of these...

I have 3 different types here, I believe... & I give Buddy 1/4 a night after fresh but before his little mini "seed time"

Caitec Apple Cinnamon Cookies 4 oz
Thanks! I'll ask vet tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've pulled up the medication into a syringe and then pulled up a little bit of organic unsweetened apple juice. Sometimes this tricks the bird into taking the medication. Other times it works at first and then the bird knows what's coming and refuses to take the med or spits the everything out. Might be worth a try.
With Casey I put his medication on a small piece of pound cake. I know it's not the healthiest thing but the medication soaked into the pound cake and since he likes cake he would eat it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too me when it's a toss up between a wee little piece of something unhealthy & a needed medication, as long as the vet approved the wee portion & item they get it. Some meds like needed no matter what, thyroid, antibiotics etc... are far more important.