• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adive needed about a tiny baby Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I didn't see a finch/canary section yet So I'm posting here

I was dropped off a very young baby finch yesterday - it's eyes aren't even open - they estimated it to be born around 10-4/10-5 which would make it around 10 days old but it's eyes are NOT open

My Biggest question is what in the world is the Brooder temp supposed to be?

I know how to feed it - i was actually surprised to wake up and it still be alive, I really didn't think it would make it through the night

I've been using a Tooth pick(the kind i have do not have pointed ends) to feed it with, It's eating some here and there

There is not a lot of info out there on hand feeding Finches - Since you shouldn't really do it to start with

but The parents kept throwing this one out - But not the others

So the people called and asked if i could hand feed it and take care of it

The worst part I found out when they got here I don't know what kind of business it was or if she was talking about at her house But I'm pretty sure she meant at their work - the reason for getting the Finches "were to entertain the cats":omg:

she said she called a vet about the baby and they wanted $55 just to walk in the door then she said "my boss wouldn't justify that as a needed expense So i brought it to you on my own time"

now I don't have finches for a reason - I am personally not fond of them SO I don't know much about them and I can't find any where that tells me what temp. the brooder is supposed to be for a very tiny finch

I think its a zebra finch, its skin is black its tongue is white with black lines and it looks like the roof of its mouth is the same as its tongue White with black stripes

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it sounds like a zebra I do not know broder temprature but from raising finches most of the ones they kick out do not make it I would go for the temprature found in emergeny 911 in Billy Fayes post on emergency brooder for birds :hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks - I know normally each species the temp is different for each age range

but all i could find was how to make a brooder- Which I already have LOL I searched for about 2 hours and never could find a specific temp for this tiny little thing

and that was my thought too - they're kicking it out because something is wrong with it

I don't know what they're supposed to look like as i've never seen a baby finch this small, But it has a thing about tilting its head side ways when its being fed or just in general it looks like it has a scab on its back , and I don't know where the umbilical cord is on finch (i've only seen it on a tiny baby budgie and it was way down on its belly) but this one has something black (i thought it was dried poop) way up high on its chest We lifted it up with a different Tooth pick but it looked attached so i wasn't messing with it.

i was amazed it made it through the night I really didn't think it would.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
From http://www.finchniche.com

The ideal temperature is 90F for any chick under 10 days old. As they grow and develop feathers you will need to decrease the temperature. The humidity should be above 10%.
there is a lot of detailed information on hand-feeding finches here:

http://www.finchniche.com/f-handraising.mgi

It's difficult to do because they are so tiny. It's not uncommon for some parents to toss their chicks from the nest. It is unusual for zebra finches to do that, but it's not unheard of. Sometimes it is because the parents are inexperienced, or one of them is aggressive or there is something wrong with the chick. A friend of mine recently had this happen to a Gouldian chick. When he looked at the baby, he saw that it had a birth defect. The chick hatched without any wings. We think this is why the parents tossed it from the nest. He did try to save it by handfeeding but it died the following day. Most likely it had some other internal problems.

Good Luck!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thank you

I'm thinking they kept throwing this one because of some health issue but i'm not sure

but I know with my tiels, budgies and lovebirds any time there are more then one baby and one is always being thrown out It ends up dying for unknown reasons

and the lady said they never threw out the other babies - she didn't tell me how many others there were though

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
i relise it to late for the poor thing but its the same as a budgie or lovie for temp
mine open there eyes at 5 days

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Whatever happened to the little baby finch? Just seeing this post now for the first time.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I have raised some baby finches from day #1 all the way to maturity. Not really hard in my experience, just time consuming and sleep depriving. If one has an outside-the-home job to go to and no one else to handfeed as a backup, then doom is usually the outcome.

It ending up dying a couple days later

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I think the lil' guy was doomed from the start, I think thats why the parents kept tossing just that one out.. I'm thinking it had internal issues

I've hand fed before just not finches. and I won't do it again.thats for sure

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
ya it's not easy thats for shere sometimes sadly intervention is needed and even the healthiest babies can be tossed to depends on the parent birds. also its good to keep a pair with expierents around when breeding. the new birds so if they don't do good you can transfer the bub's

Status
Not open for further replies.