• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding your second bird and changing schedule question.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To try and explain my question.

I will be adding another conure to my exhisting one and know i will have rethink my schedule.
And had a few questions so i have some idea so i can plan ahead for Saturday as best as i can.
Both birds will be in different rooms the new bird will be in my office where i work 4 days a week.
I do spend a lot of time on the phone so that could be my first problem but wont know until the time.

feedings etc. Will get done together .

Daily husbandry do i do At the same time one after the other ?
How do i split time between them fairly ?
Mojo is fine out of the cage with my wife when she finishes work until i finish then she has some time out her cage with us both back into her cage while cook and then eat she is out for the remainder of the night until bed and she go's to bed.

Her second time out of the cage she go's everywhere with me i cant leave the room.
And this is the time she does all of her flying pretty much.
I want to lessen the impact of her night as much as possible however i will need to spend time with the new bird as well.

I know this to a degree this could be dictated by the birds but if i have a rough outline i would feel a bit more confident.

Took ages to write that first she wanted a bath.
20210727_204454.jpg

And then she wanted a scritch off me

IMG-20210727-WA0016.jpg

Any advice appreciated @webchirp, @saroj12 @flyzipper @Zara

Thanks in advance.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
One thing that has really helped me with time management for my animals is creating a spreadsheet with different chores on it for different days. It helps me keep track of how much time I'm spending doing each thing so I know how much time I have leftover to spend with each animal (in particular Glim). Do you think tracking your patterns would give you a better idea of your time spent with each bird so you could figure out how to work more fairly?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing that has really helped me with time management for my animals is creating a spreadsheet with different chores on it for different days. It helps me keep track of how much time I'm spending doing each thing so I know how much time I have leftover to spend with each animal (in particular Glim). Do you think tracking your patterns would give you a better idea of your time spent with each bird so you could figure out how to work more fairly?
I wouldnt look at a plan if written down i need to have the plan in my head and fit it in around my life day by day.
If that makes sense.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I wouldnt look at a plan if written down i need to have the plan in my head and fit it in around my life day by day.
If that makes sense.
It does. I'm trying to think of a good solution for you.

Maybe @webchirp would have some ideas for split time between birds.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Only thing that comes to mind would be a daily planner with time on it. This way you will be able to see not only how much time in the day you have for them both but also for yourself and things that need up keep. I live by my planner!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some thoughts about schedule, and hopefully something will assist...

Regarding schedule, mine is the most important, followed by my existing birds, followed by any new bird. My schedule is very predictable and steady, so it's easy to make that the focus. If it were more varied, I'd probably have to bend to my birds' needs for a steady routine.

The new bird is already going through tremendous change, so it has no idea what's normal and what isn't. The change for Mojo is the introduction of a new bird, so preserving as much normalcy for him would be my focus to reduce stress. It sounds like Mojo is used to you working, so that time with the new bird is the perfect opportunity.

Caveats...

If the new bird is barely weaned (or not at all) they will require you to accommodate the feeding schedule they're accustomed to (at first). The older and more independent they are, the less this is a issue.

feedings etc. Will get done together .
What's your plan for a vet check for Kiki (?) and quarantine?

How do i split time between them fairly ?
As you've said, it depends. None of my three interact due to their size differences, and none are aggressive toward the other (usually), and they know to stay away from each other, so they're all out at the same time and on the same schedule. Oscar is in the rafters, Jericho is on my left shoulder, and Marvin is on my right knee while I type this.

I've bird-sat a friend's conures and Marvin aggressively flew at them, so they required separate care.

Jericho will sometimes fly at Oscar, so he goes away into his cage when I'm not able to supervise. Oscar backs down, so this dynamic doesn't explode, but it still needs conscious management. Me being in the same room is fine for the degree of hostility here. It's useful to observe triggers in these situations, and Jericho's is jealousy, especially over my attention. So, I've learned to feed Jericho first, or before Oscar, at least. Time of day also matters -- no hostility during the evening when everyone is winding down for the day, for example.

All that to say, when your pair eventually interact, the amount of extra management will depend on aggression. Doing their own thing or being best buddies will be different than if one dislikes the other.

I'll leave it at that, but am more than happy to explain anything that isn't clear or if I've missed anything.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The new bird is already going through tremendous change, so it has no idea what's normal and what isn't. The change for Mojo is the introduction of a new bird, so preserving as much normalcy for him would be my focus to reduce stress. It sounds like Mojo is used to you working, so that time with the new bird is the perfect opportunity.
That makes sense however interaction with the new bird would be dependant on workload

If the new bird is barely weaned (or not at all) they will require you to accommodate the feeding schedule they're accustomed to (at first). The older and more independent they are, the less this is a issue.
Fully weaned is older than Mojo was when i brought her home as i havent been able to travel due to slipped disc in back

What's your plan for a vet check for Kiki (?) and quarantine?
Vet check following weekend QT time will be minimum 40 days could be longer as i need to offload fishthank to create space in living room ( again this has been slowed down due to back problems )

Your other points all make sense and give me a bit of a idea thanks for taking the time if i think off anything else i will be asking her to keep everything in one place for referance.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only thing that comes to mind would be a daily planner with time on it. This way you will be able to see not only how much time in the day you have for them both but also for yourself and things that need up keep. I live by my planner!
If that makes sense.
Thanks anyway

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO (and others may feel differently) I think you're overthinking this.
With birds, our best laid plans often are tossed out by the birds. ;)
Once the new bird is in your home, you'll soon find out what needs done, and the order to do it.
If it's not working, you'll change to something that works better.
You may feel different rooms are best, but the birds may want near each other and the calling back and forth may have you rethink that decision.
Is your new baby a conure also?
A large difference in size can create needs that having 2 of the same species doesn't..

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With birds, our best laid plans often are tossed out by the birds.
totally get this however i need a rough idea in my head on how i am going to approach this but know things will potentially be changeable

You may feel different rooms are best, but the birds may want near each other and the calling back and forth may have you rethink that decision.
Initially different rooms are the only option but again something i know may change as soon as i can move all the livestock on from my fishtank i will be able to move that on and will have a lot more space in the living room.

Is your new baby a conure also?
Yes another conure :)

IMG-20210707-WA0019.jpg

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm (trying) to manage my attention working from home, 4 birds who have to be out in 2 different shifts, and a dog.. I don't have great advice because I don't think I'm doing as well as I could.. but for what its worth..

The birds definitely do mess with your plans.
I always try to let the budgies out for a fly before I open the big bird cages, but sometimes they won't come out! Then I have to swap it and try to remember to let them out later.
Also if the dog is not at daycare, he goes for a long midday "nap" in his crate so the birds can come out.. but sometimes they decide to take a nap too!!

Sometimes one or the other of them (even the dog) feels they did not get enough free time and they make very insistent noises that they want out, so I have to shuffle things around and try to accommodate what they need.
Our routine is relatively stable across time, but I can't say it's all that consistent day to day. So far none of the birds seem to have a problem with that, probably because they've never known a strict schedule with me.

For the new bird and your work load, I think just being near the bird is often good enough, especially when you are still trying to build the relationship. Opie the amazon doesn't "like" me, so I keep him the closest to me all day while I work.
I'm in phone meetings alot too but in between I sing to him or pass over a treat whenever I can.
Oggie the senegal loves me and would want to climb on me, but he still bites in a way that is unpredictable to me, so he does not get the opportunity to touch me during work hours. However he is still in my line of sight and out of his cage so he can choose to get as close to me as his perches allow. I also sing and talk to him. He gets a few scritches if I pass by his cage.
If he was a "nice" bird I might let him chill on my shoulder while I work.

None of my birds are really clingy or affectionate though. Except maybe the dog "bird". Sometimes he gets very sad and restless and cries if he hasn't had play or cuddle times. I try not to let him control the schedule but I do make adjustments to give him more time when he is asking for it.

You're probably just going to have to play it by ear and see what your existing pet will tolerate. Generally you want to spend time with her first, but if she gets upset when you go to the other bird then swap it. Maybe gradually increase your hours "working" until you have a cushion of time with the new bird before you "go home".

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think the same as Becky.

For me now it´s not quite as easy but before, but when I had 2, 3, and 5 birds I let them all out together. Being the same size, they would share the space and be ok. I had two birds that would fight, but I would just watch those two, the rest were happy being out together with no issues.

Even now, having the 7, I have two groups who all live in the same room. I just give them half of my time avail that day. My dog is not very mobile and sleeps most of the day. He has the rest of my home to do whatever in, he usually goes and sleeps next to my bed or in the kitchen though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very beautiful!! :heart2: