• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding another tiel

Anjule

Meeting neighbors
We are considering getting another tiel. We have had Misha, who is almost 5 mos old, since July. She is a DNA-sexed female. In getting another bird, we hope that they will eventually share a cage. If we add another, is it best to get a female? We want to avoid breeding, but are not sure whether females tend to get along with other females.

Angie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It really depends on the bird, but I think you might have the best luck with another female. I had a male that could not be caged with my female because he pestered her to mate and it stressed her out. I have two females, Cappuccino and Niko in one cage, and Sunset, another female, in another. I could not put Cappuccino with Sunset, however, because she is way too bosy and Sunset is to intimidated by her. It really depends on the birds.

If your birds do mate, and your female does lay eggs, you can always just replace the eggs with dummy eggs. A female will lay eggs without a male around, they just won’t be viable.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have 4 females. They get along great. Tiels are so sweet!
mine have one big flight cage but it’s almost always open so they’re able to go out as they please.( they had 2 cages but they decided to pile into one).