• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a new Quaker to the family - male or female

dodi17

Sitting on the front steps
Rico is a 5 1/2 year old female and has been part of the family for 4 years. Now I would like to bring home another Quaker. My question is this: does it matter if I get a male or female? We had always assumed Rico was a male, but 3 months ago she laid an egg! LOL. Obviously Rico is a female. I'm not interested in breeding, but I want to get a potential companion for her. I know introductions will time.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kathryn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kathryn
Rico is a 5 1/2 year old female and has been part of the family for 4 years. Now I would like to bring home another Quaker. My question is this: does it matter if I get a male or female? We had always assumed Rico was a male, but 3 months ago she laid an egg! LOL. Obviously Rico is a female. I'm not interested in breeding, but I want to get a potential companion for her. I know introductions will time.
Getting the bird a companion is a tricky business. If you have no intentions to breed then this may not be a wise decision. Unless you just want another bird. Also when you put the pair in the same cage it must be a new cage they are both unfamiliar with so that territorialism is not an issue. Quakers are very territorial in general so this needs to be considered. I recommend doing some research on Quakers and asking people who sell birds, breeders more specifically, for some answers to common questions. My baby Quaker(she is 7 months old) is very territorial. When our White faced cockatiel Grayfeather flies over to her cage playtop and Caly is anywhere near this area she runs her off beak open wide and makes a squawking sound of "Hey, this is my house, get off!" Do your research first, and read, read, and read some more. Best of luck on your decision what ever it may be.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I hear somewhere and I don’t know if it’s true but two quakers together aren’t good. I’m honestly not sure. :(

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
All I want to say is to seriously consider that you might lose your relationship with the bird you have if you add another one and they get along well. I can't speak for quakers specifically, but by adding a second cockatiel to our house, they've become almost entirely disinterested in humans. So just keep that possibility in mind.