• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ACV for Crop Infection?

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone I'm new here my Umbrella Cockatoo has a crop infection and i just found out how ACV is good for this. I was wondering is it okay to put it on the Electrolytes+Multivitamin mix my vet gave me? He isn't eating so that's why my vet decided to make me give that to him for now.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Hmm. When my cockatoo had a crop infection the other year, the vet went straight to an antibiotic, anti-fungal and probiotic supplement. I think she had nystatin and baytril, but I'm not home right now to check for sure. How long has he been off his feed? If I wanted to try some ACV, I'd add it to applesauce and syringe feed it to him. You'll need to do it more than once. He may not like it - it won't taste good. I'd also massage his crop frequently throughout the day, and especially when you give him the ACV/applesauce mixture. But I wouldn't wait too long to move to a stronger treatment. You need to weigh him at least daily right now. Is your vet an avian vet? If not, I highly recommend you take him to someone with a lot of avian experience - you really don't have a lot of time to waste. If he's not eating, how did the vet suggest you get the ACV into him?

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Well I'm not quite sure if the vet was a strictly avian vet as he is the only vet that accepted me and my cockatoo as all other vets here are for dogs and cats.

He didn't suggest the ACV a friend of mine did who had a bird have crop infection too. The vet didn't suggest any meds as my bird is still pretty active so he thought he just needed some vitamins and Electrolytes to keep his immune system and energy up.

He stopped eating today, he ate his favourite oatmesl this morning but he regurgitated them a couple of hours later. Vet said he's tryibg to regurgitate the stuff that's irritating his crop.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Your bird needs either antibiotics or anti fungal meds, crop infections can not be cured with ACV.

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Your bird needs either antibiotics or anti fungal meds, crop infections can not be cured with ACV.
I'll bring him to the vet again tomorrow first thing in the morning, are those meds okay if they refuse to eat? Vet said since we can't determine yet if it's bacterial or fungal that's why he proposed some first aid first

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Yes, you'll have to give it to him with a syringe. The baytril can be very bitter, but you can add it to some other sweet, thickened liquid if needed. I made my own sugar syrup to add it to right before I administered it. Make sure you keep the volume small and don't mess up the dosage. Normally, at least in my experience, a vet will treat with both drugs at once, before the test results are in. If it will be difficult to administer, ask the vet to give you some extra doses while the 2 of you get better at dosing. You should quickly see an improvement in appetite and a reduction in nausea. I wouldn't give both the meds and the vinegar at once though, so if you try the vinegar today and switch to meds tomorrow, stop the vinegar at that point. Your vet can also prescribe an anti-nausea drug to help with that.

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
It's actually 1:54 am where I'm at now so I have yet to try the ACV. I was planning to try later at his breakfast if he still refuses to eat.

He's still pretty much acting normal so vet said I shouldn't be worried to much as he isn't showing any lethargy. But I planned to bring him again later in like 6 hours once they open since he refused to eat dinner.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vet said since we can't determine yet if it's bacterial or fungal that's why he proposed some first aid first

A vet can do a swab of the crop and make a slide to look under a microscope and see what his in the crop. Its called a gram stain. Vet can see both yeast or bacteria (infection). As stated apple cider vinegar (with mother) is not a cure for yeast. It deters the growth of yeast due to its acidity. Bacteria growth in the crop needs antibiotics. Sugar will enhance the growth of yeast so best not to give you bird any sugar if you suspect something is not right.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Remember, too, that birds generally don't show behavioral signs of illness, such as lethargy, until it's too late. (Because they are prey.) I didn't see any signs with mine, expect for not eating, vomiting, weight loss and a bit of thickness in her crop despite the consistent lack of food.

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for all your replies will definitely bring him yo the vet once it opens

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As others have said ACV is not a medication and does not cure anything nor kill bacterial or fungus. All
ACV does is change the Ph of the crop to discourage (does nto prevent) the growth of microbes. Your bird needs real medication not an old wive's tale.

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Remember, too, that birds generally don't show behavioral signs of illness, such as lethargy, until it's too late. (Because they are prey.) I didn't see any signs with mine, expect for not eating, vomiting, weight loss and a bit of thickness in her crop despite the consistent lack of food.
He's showing all this but his crop is pretty much empty.

But anyway I appreciate all the replies will definitely bring him back once the vet opens at 8am. It's currently 3:29 am here so not a long wait.

geekofspades

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys just wanted to make an update, my cockatoo will be given injections of anti bacterial and multivitamins for 5 straight days. Since we're not sure if we give things orally it will retain since he keeps regurgitating.

He still refuses to eat so i need to keep up the Electrolytes and Multivitamins mixed with his drinking water

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
An anti-nausea medication would take care of that and allow you to skip the injections, but this is probably coming too late to help you with that. I hope things are improving for him. What's his name?