• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

ACV and Baytril at at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
I am currently treating my 1 month old Zebra/Society Finch, Einstein, for pneumonia. :( He threw up a little at some point between feeding, we don't know why, and most likely aspirated some of it. He is on .03 Baytril 2 times daily. He is still handfeeding every 2-2 1/2 hours, and I have still been adding a tiny drop of ACV to every other meal. Is it ok to continue this, or should I hold off? The vet didn't seem concerned about one way or another, and she is an excellent avian vet, but I just thought I'd ask some opinions here, too.

Attachments

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Gosh, wish I could help, but I have no advice for you. I just wanted to wish the adorable little one well!

PS- I know when we would treat chinchillas with Baytril we were always told to use some probiotics to help the beneficial bacteria, and to help prevent bloat and a sore tummy. Maybe run that by the vet and see what they think? I hope someone else will come on with more knowledge for you.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I've had to use both before, and it was under the direction of my avian vet as well. I wouldn't worry about it! Hope the little one feels better soon!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,I hope he gets better soon.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I would be using the ACV if it were one of my birds. Immune compromised birds develop a yeast infection very easy. When in doubt run it past your avian vet.

Gary

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I am not sure about ACV, but I know that GSE will contradindicate the antibiotics (kinda the same reason why you would never take antibiotics with orange juice). Since ACV has the same properties, I would discontinue it until you speak to your vet.

Can you let us know the answer?

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
No advice but good luck to the little one. He/she is very cute.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I hope they get better :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.