• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ACV and antibiotics question

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
ACV will only ever reduce symptoms. It won't cure anything.
I always recommend probiotics after a course of antibiotics.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As @Ripshod says ACV is not of much, if any, use. You will want to give probiotics for awhile. Antibiotics are not selective and kill the natural flora and fauna in the digestive system as well as the bad microbes. Probiotics replace these natural flora and fauna that assist in digestion. ACV is nothing more than something a little acidic.

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
I have heard of ACV being given after a round of antibiotics. Apple Cider Vinegar has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Man has been using it for thousands of years. But it is very important that it only be used for short-term use because it not only kills the bad bacteria, but also the good. I would advise you check with your vet - if he suggests it, you need to find out how much to give and how long for.

Last edited:

Chibublydb

Moving in
Thank you everyone. I’m giving probiotics instead. Do probiotics have to be given for a specific time period?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you everyone. I’m giving probiotics instead. Do probiotics have to be given for a specific time period?
Follow the instructions on the label. I like to give it daily for the three weeks following the antibiotics followed by weekly top ups.