• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Activities for an older galah

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Hello! Recently I've become very close with a local rescue's galah. He's in his 40s, overweight, not super active, and doesn't seem to touch his wood toys a whole lot. While I'm not in control of his diet, I would love to give him some fun things to do to help him become a bit fitter and more galah-like. On our last visit, I had him run around on the ground and explore, which he really seemed to love (video included).
What fun activities do you do with your 'toos? Is there anything specific I should do for him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried any foraging toys with him? Most of the 'toos at our rescue do really well with foraging toys- like the plastic ones that have drawers, knobs, etc for them to work at. My goffin also likes plastic link toys to hook and unhook on his cage bars. He also loves to play catch.

@Nancy B ? @zoo mom ?

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hello! Recently I've become very close with a local rescue's galah. He's in his 40s, overweight, not super active, and doesn't seem to touch his wood toys a whole lot. While I'm not in control of his diet, I would love to give him some fun things to do to help him become a bit fitter and more galah-like. On our last visit, I had him run around on the ground and explore, which he really seemed to love (video included).
What fun activities do you do with your 'toos? Is there anything specific I should do for him?
larger foraging toys !! transparent foraging wheels or blocks, you can find them on amazon ! try flight training as well, entice him with healthier treats, running around like you did seemed to work well, maybe try playing with some foot toys? larger bird foot toys of course, and maybe playing some form of a ball you cam roll around and play with him ! target training through flying could be fun as well ! maybe softer wood toys, like balsa or yucca? Yucca will be destroyed easily and could give him a little bit of fun !! :hehepink:

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
larger foraging toys !! transparent foraging wheels or blocks, you can find them on amazon ! try flight training as well, entice him with healthier treats, running around like you did seemed to work well, maybe try playing with some foot toys? larger bird foot toys of course, and maybe playing some form of a ball you cam roll around and play with him ! target training through flying could be fun as well ! maybe softer wood toys, like balsa or yucca? Yucca will be destroyed easily and could give him a little bit of fun !! :hehepink:
Great ideas! What are some examples of healthier treats? This guy goes crazy for food, so hopefully he'll be into them.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Great ideas! What are some examples of healthier treats? This guy goes crazy for food, so hopefully he'll be into them.
here are some (just remember, it's treats, so feed sparingly) almonds, cashews (organic), dried pineapple, dried mango, dried veggies like carrots, dried papaya, dried mango, pumpkin seeds, hemp seed, safflower seed, red millet, pine nuts in shell, cooked beans, organic raisins work well (just not frequently don't use them all the time), oven baked cookies for birds ! (I can link you some !), peas (dried or fresh), dried peppers, dried banana chips !!! these are just some of the ones that work best in my opinion ! make sure nothing has added salt or sugar ! for nuts, organic works best !

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Have you tried any foraging toys with him? Most of the 'toos at our rescue do really well with foraging toys- like the plastic ones that have drawers, knobs, etc for them to work at. My goffin also likes plastic link toys to hook and unhook on his cage bars. He also loves to play catch.

@Nancy B ? @zoo mom ?
I hide nutriberries all over his cage. In his coconut hanging toy, the egg cartons he likes to tear up. I have a foraging box with shredded paper in it, I hide nuts, and nutriberries in there as well as small pieces of wood. I have pieces of unfinished wood in bug and butterfly shapes. He loves those because they're easy for him to hold. Lol

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
I hide nutriberries all over his cage. In his coconut hanging toy, the egg cartons he likes to tear up. I have a foraging box with shredded paper in it, I hide nuts, and nutriberries in there as well as small pieces of wood. I have pieces of unfinished wood in bug and butterfly shapes. He loves those because they're easy for him to hold. Lol
have you tried cashews? (raw organic ones, unsalted, un roasted) he might like to hold those!!! as for the butterfly and bug shapes for toys, check out https://chopmisthill-birdtoys.com/shop?olsPage=products

they have a lot of fun shapes for their toys !!! mercury adores them LOL, just be sure to supervise him with them because they do break easily sometimes!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
have you tried cashews? (raw organic ones, unsalted, un roasted) he might like to hold those!!! as for the butterfly and bug shapes for toys, check out https://chopmisthill-birdtoys.com/shop?olsPage=products

they have a lot of fun shapes for their toys !!! mercury adores them LOL, just be sure to supervise him with them because they do break easily sometimes!
I have tried cashews and he throws them! Lol probably because he doesn't readily recognize them. I will try that link for toy shapes! He's obsessed with them. I got some plain craft wood puzzle pieces and he LOVED those. I haven't been able to find them lately though.