• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Acting Strange

budgiebeau

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Hello! Lately my budgie has been sleeping on both of her feet and standing with her wings out with her feather unfluffled, I was wondering if this could be a sign of illness? She’s just as vocal as before just the weird sitting. The photo I attached it the best I can get because when I get closer she starts to move around the cage.

Attachments

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hello! What is the temperature of the room she is kept? Is her cage kept in a direct path of sunlight or have other sources of heat such as a light or lamp? Does she have access to fresh water for drinking? Is she bathing or have opportunities to do so?

budgiebeau

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Hello! What is the temperature of the room she is kept? Is her cage kept in a direct path of sunlight or have other sources of heat such as a light or lamp? Does she have access to fresh water for drinking? Is she bathing or have opportunities to do so?
My room is rather warm and her cage isn’t in a direct path of sun. She has fresh water and the opportunity to bathe but she hasn’t in a while.

budgiebeau

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
My room is rather warm and her cage isn’t in a direct path of sun. She has fresh water and the opportunity to bathe but she hasn’t in a while.
I’m also not sure the exact temp of the room, but I believe the house is kept at 74° if this helps!

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Is your room the same temp as the rest of the house? Or is it warmer? Like maybe an upstairs room that heat rises too?

Do you have any air flow for her? Like a fan (but not pointed directly at her)?

Is she eating and drinking ok? Droppings look normal?

budgiebeau

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Is your room the same temp as the rest of the house? Or is it warmer? Like maybe an upstairs room that heat rises too?

Do you have any air flow for her? Like a fan (but not pointed directly at her)?

Is she eating and drinking ok? Droppings look normal?
The upstairs is definitely warmer than downstairs. She’s been eating the same, but I haven’t really seen her drinking water; however, I never really notice her drinking water and I’ve had her for about five years. Also her droppings look normal.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Do you have a fan that can help circulate air? Not a ceiling fan if she comes out if her cage. And not pointed directly on the cage, but moving air past the cage.

You can also offer frozen treats or chilled cucumber to keep her cool and hydrated.

If she isn't bathing, you can try giving her a mist bath with a spray bottle. But don't spray her directly. Spray a mist above her and let it fall. Get her used to the sound of the spray bottle first. Go very slow with it so she learns to enjoy it and not be frightened by it.

budgiebeau

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Do you have a fan that can help circulate air? Not a ceiling fan if she comes out if her cage. And not pointed directly on the cage, but moving air past the cage.

You can also offer frozen treats or chilled cucumber to keep her cool and hydrated.

If she isn't bathing, you can try giving her a mist bath with a spray bottle. But don't spray her directly. Spray a mist above her and let it fall. Get her used to the sound of the spray bottle first. Go very slow with it so she learns to enjoy it and not be frightened by it.
I only have my overhead fan, but I can get a standing one to put near her! I’ll also try the chilled cucumbers and mist. Thank you so much!

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Be careful using the overhead fan if you let her out. They can be fatal to a bird that flies into it!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Moderating As this is place for human wellness. May this should moved to healthy highways.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is it cooler outside? Close the cage and open the window.
23C isn't really that warm for a budgie. There can be 3 reasons for this - heat, anxiety or illness. Rule 2 out for an obvious answer.