• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Acrylic sealant (windows)?

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey!

In the very near future all my windows and the patio door are going to be replaced. My parrots (and also bunnies and dogs) are going to stay at my mom´s house, when the work is going on (and afterwards to ensure the safety of the birds).

My landlord has told me that everything is already painted but that the company will be using acrylic sealant. It is supposed to not have a strong smell (according to what I have been told) but they also said that “everyone is different and need to see for themselves” …so I am not sure exactly how much smell there will be. Also, they are naturally talking about smell from a human perspective and not from an extremely sensitive bird’s perspective.

So, does anyone have any idea, as to how long I need to keep my birds out of my apartment after they have finished changing everything. Just to make sure there is no risk of harm to my beloved feathered kids.

Also, do I need to take toys etc. out as well…are there any risks of the smell to get “stuck or whatnot” on their toys and somehow be harmful after the fact… (sorry, if I am being silly, I just want to make sure that my boys will be safe)?

Thanks.

/Animallover_84

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm having my patio doors replaced soon too! I was told that it should be safe within 24 hours but, it can take up to 48 hours to fully cure. Once it is cured it should no longer be letting off any smells.

I would not personally be worried about removing all the toys etc.

@JLcribber might known best though as he's our resident contractor :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Acrylic/latex caulking has the same safety level as low/no VOC paint. It does not have much if any smell. It cures quickly and is perfectly safe after 48 hours with some ventilation.

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm having my patio doors replaced soon too! I was told that it should be safe within 24 hours but, it can take up to 48 hours to fully cure. Once it is cured it should no longer be letting off any smells.

I would not personally be worried about removing all the toys etc.

@JLcribber might known best though as he's our resident contractor :)
Acrylic/latex caulking has the same safety level as low/no VOC paint. It does not have much if any smell. It cures quickly and is perfectly safe after 48 hours with some ventilation.
Thank you both so, so much! I feel a bit less panicked now. Maybe I won´t even get a “lovely” migraine if the smell is not that bad; since I am going to be in my apartment, when they put that stuff on, that is a definite plus:yahoo:.

/Animallover_84