• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Accidentally used nonstick cookware

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
Hi, I’m in kind of an urgent situation. Before we got birds (two teils) we made sure we threw out all of our nonstick cookware, but we have a pancake grill that is nonstick coated and I didn’t realize until after I used it. I used it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and Teflon is an issue at 446 degrees Fahrenheit, it could have easily gotten that hot, using it for over 10 minutes. Right now we’ve put their cage outside, put on 2 air purifiers, 2 fans and an exhaust, we aren’t sure what else we can do, does anybody have any suggestions, I’m sorry to bother you but this can get seriously serious fast, their lungs could fill with fluid and cause them to suffocate, any bit helps. Thank you

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If nobody is symptomatic, it's probably fine. Air the house well for an hour or two and that should be that. Not advocating for the use of teflon at all but my parents did it many times around my childhood tiel before we knew better and he's still here at 25. My understanding is it's either fine or the birds pretty much drop dead. So if it's been a few minutes and they're still okay, they probably will be okay.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best to get rid of all non stick cookware.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If the pan did not overheat they should be Ok! Welcome to the Avenue and please let us know later that they are ok!:hug8:

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
@ lady Jane we totally agree, better to be safe that sorry. We threw them away all at once and just missed that one. Based on that I assumed it was safe until I looked closer at the box.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So good to hear your birds are ok. You did great putting them outside and airing the house.

Welcome to the Avenue :meet:

Reactions: Ali