• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Accidentally forgot to check the chick crop before feeding, worried that I may have overfed. Advice?

chinensis8

Meeting neighbors
Hi, so I'm not a breeder, I used to foster baby birds for people who didn't know better than to purchase a <4 week old chick. All the chicks I helped with from 2 weeks to 9 weeks were always fine. I never panicked like this.

My mom recently brought home a 3 week old cockatiel chick. Normal feeding time would be every 4 hours. I'd usually weigh him before feeding and after feeding. Then I'd double check his crop before every feeding.

For his last feeding I forgot to weight him before and check his crop. I'm worried I might have over fed him. I fed him ca. 3 hours after his last feeding. He didn't beg for food as much as he normally would when he was hungry. His crop feels way fuller than normal. Am I being paranoid?

When I weighed him, he seems to be at his usual "after feeding time" weight. Does this mean he was not over fed?

In case I did over feed him, what signs should I look out for? What can I do to help him? It's absolutely impossible to go to the vet during quarantine. None of them are available or open. So I just want to have a back up plan. I mean, if I had to I will track down the vet's place of residence or personal phone number if I couldn't reach him through the office, ONLY if the chick is at risk of death.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Let him sleep, make sure he´s warm and check in on him in an hour to make sure the food in the crop has started to be digested.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is everything ok with the little one now?

chinensis8

Meeting neighbors
Hi yes, I think I was just panicking over nothing. I was just so worried because it was the first time I've forgotten to weigh him and was worried about overfeeding. But he's healthy and learning to fly now :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi yes, I think I was just panicking over nothing. I was just so worried because it was the first time I've forgotten to weigh him and was worried about overfeeding. But he's healthy and learning to fly now :)
;) :needpics: ;)