• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Accident

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
Ok. I’m freaking out. I accidentally shut the cage door on one of my sun conure’s feet. I immediately realized what happened and it was less than 3 seconds and the door did not latch. He has been walking on it but is now holding it up while being preened by his brother. My problem is we are in the middle of Hurricane Ian and I don’t know what to do - besides apologizing profusely while crying like a baby. My instincts tell me that it might hurt but if he’s been walking on it and holding treats he will be ok until I can get him to his avian vet.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Chances are that if he is walking on it, it is not likely broken. That leaves some sort of soft tissue damage. Would he allow you to soak it in cold water? Also check it out to make sure there are no open wounds. Just like when we stub our toes it may really hurt for a minute or two and then recover with minimal intervention. Keep an eye on it for swelling and hopefully it is only slightly bruised. Don't beat yourself up too much.... it happens. I see extra treats for your baby in his future.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both of my conures often hold one foot up while they get preened are you sure he doesnt usually do this ?

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
Both of my conures often hold one foot up while they get preened are you sure he doesnt usually do this ?
Yes he does…they both do….like I said I was freaking out….he seems ok and I’ll make an appointment ASAP after hurricane Ian but I’m so clueless as to what to do in an emergency. I’m starting to think he’s more clever than I give him credit for….