• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Accident with the ceiling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Just checking in to see if there are any updates on your faby's condition. Praying all is well.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I agree with this. Our ceiling fan is no longer turned on..EVER. Even when the birds are in their cages.
Yup, since getting birds we dont even turn it on - we use the light in, and that works with the switch, but the string has to be pulled to activate the fan and it seriously hasnt been done in years.

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
I have ceiling fans and they are used in summer. My birds are not out when they are on and we have the word BIRD written on all the wall switches in huge marker pen letters in case my husband or I absentmindedly go to turn them on.
This has worked very well. I don't think I would be using them at all if I had young kids though living at home.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Any word on the Alexandrine? I hope that s/he is doing OK...

Ceiling fans are great at cooling but oh, are they ever something to deal with when you have flighted critters. Maybe you could make some sort of cage with wood and wire that could be hung from the ceiling to cover the fan (does that description make sense)? Something that wouldn't really affect the air flow but would keep the blades contained.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Any word on the Alexandrine? I hope that s/he is doing OK...

Ceiling fans are great at cooling but oh, are they ever something to deal with when you have flighted critters. Maybe you could make some sort of cage with wood and wire that could be hung from the ceiling to cover the fan (does that description make sense)? Something that wouldn't really affect the air flow but would keep the blades contained.

I don't know about for residential (home) ceiling fans but I know for commercial ceiling fans they do make a metal frame that goes over them But I think a bird could still get hurt with those as well - Depending on how big the gaps are

looks similar to this - but i've seen Nicer looking ones lol

Jennifer

Meeting neighbors
That's a neat idea-- the only thing with that design is that I don't know about anyone else's parrots, but to mine anything that looks like 'cage bars' is an instant favorite place to land... they think it's safe! If anything this design would encourage my parrots near the ceiling fan!

I'm one of those people that has them in the house (installed by prior owners) and hasn't switched them on ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.