• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ABV and cuttle bone?

WhatsUpDoc

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!

I recently adopted an CAG named Doc who tested positive for ABV a few years ago. He's on a strict diet to avoid flair ups and medication and seems to be doing really well. I've seen a lot about cuttle bones for parrots however. I don't have any problem getting him one but I'm not sure that he's ever had access to one and if it could possibly hurt him to have to much calcium. He gets Zupreem parrot food and a nutri berry morning and night with his meds on it. I would love to know if this is something he needs or something he's okay without/better to avoid. Please advise!
Thanks, WUD

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have no idea. I just wanted to say thank you for taking in a bird in need.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Testing positive for ABV is not the same as having PDD. There is no need for special diet or meds if the disease has not manifested.
Are you giving Celebrex?
They are not really sure what triggers it to progress.
In any case I cannot see how a cuttlebone would be a trigger.
And it is very important for Greys to get enough calcium, with sunlight to help it be used.
I imagine you are not giving almonds so a source of calcium is important.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Greys need more calcium than most parrots. Cuttlebone is also a very low grade of calcium (a good portion of it not even useable by the body). He would have to eat a tremendous amount of cuttlebone before there would even be reason for concern.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
John is right - AGs need more calcium than other birds and cuttlebone is a poor source of calcium. In other words don't waste your money on cuttlebone. Give your AG almonds, Tums a couple of times a week and make sure he always has a mineral block in his cage. Like the small ones in this add Bird Mineral Treats & Beak Conditioner: Zoo Med Bird Banquet Mineral Block In order to assililate the cacium a bird need Vit D3 and it can be obtained through direct sunlight. All that is needed is 15 - 20 min 3 days a week, a pellet (such as Harrison's that has added D3), or full spectrum lighting a few hours a day.

A bird can survive for many years with ABV, but they must be kept healthy or the ABV itself (or PDD) can flare up and kill them. This member has had a bird with ABV for some time. @Tanya

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Birds can live a surprisingly long time ABV as long as you manage the symptoms carefully (depending on which organs are infected/spared).

Sometimes for a little extra calcium, I Make birdy scrambled eggs:

Throw two eggs (plus the shells of two more eggs) in the blender
Heat a little coconut oil over medium on the stove
Toss in a cup of shredded veggies (carrot, red cabbage, broccoli, sweet potato, red peppers, etc.) and sauté briefly (~ 1 minute)
While cooking veggies, blend eggs on high until no visible shell remains (~ 1 minute)
Pour over veggies and cook

Serve a small amount warm and freeze the rest for later

A note on Vitamin D: It's critical for absorbing calcium but at high doses it's a nephrotixin (kidney damaging) in birds. Never give a human Vitamin D supplement to a bird... And avoid vitamin drops in water since those kind of megadoses are especially dangerous (plus bacteria loves to grow in the nutrient-rich water).

It helps to be sure that your fid gets plenty of Vitamin A (found in Red/Orange/Yellow vegetables) since more A helps to protect the kidneys. :)

Hope this helps!

Edit: I just realized that I forgot to ask... What are his dietary restrictions?