• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Abused Amazons (Questions)

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
A few months ago, we took some Amazons from a bad owner. She was a 70 year old woman and she was terrible to these birds. They had no room in their cages, no toys, the buildup of stool was barely cleanable, and their feathers were so dirty that when they shook, a huge cloud of dust filled the air. The owner's brother ended up putting her in a home because she had dementia, but you could tell the birds were abused long before.

The birds themselves are a Red Lored Amazon named Ruby, and a Blue Fronted Amazon named Sapphire (Creative, I know.) We got them a HUGE cage with toys and everything a bird needs, plus a play area on top. They loved it immediately. Once they got settled in, they started making some funny noises. They whistled, chirped, kissed, chattered, crowed, and much MUCH more. But still, they didn't like us. They bit HARD. I still have a huge scar despite being bit months ago! I'm just curious as to things we can do to maybe make them a bit calmer? I want to teach them to step up, but they're afraid to. Please help.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
It will take time.

They need to learn to trust.

It can be done. I strongly suggest you use a transfer stick....don't give them the opportunity to bite.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'll write more later, I'm scrunched for time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Amazons aren't noted as the easiest birds to tame, but you do it the same as you would with any parrot. If you have them together in the same cage it will take longer.

Talk, talk, talk to them. Don't try to touch them until they show an interest in you. Keep treats with you and for awhile put one each in their food cups until you work up to them taking the treat out of your hand. It takes a lot of patience.

Keep in mind that if these birds have been abused in the past, they have no reason to like to trust you. Humans are not nice things to them. Patience it takes lots of patience.

We'd sure like to see pictures.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Ruby and Sapphire into your home. Patience is the key. Don't force them to do anything. Follow their lead. Have at t-stick/dowel available if and when they come out. Consider having them in separate cages. Sit near them and talk to them or sing to them (seriously....my Amazons love when I sing for them). Figure out what treats are extra special for them so you know what you can use as rewards/bribes.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Do you know if the blue front is a male? This is around hormone time for them and Blue fronts are known for being a bit feisty at hormone time, especially if it's a "he" and he views the other Amazon as a mate. He will not want you too near her. It will pass, just saying so you can consider his behavior and body language and act safely.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for adopting them and giving them a palace with toys! Like other people said, summon up the most patience you can.....and then some more. Their concept of time is very different from ours. What we think is a long time is not long at all to them.

Carefully watch what they like and mimic that in a cheerful way.

Bites can happen for a number of reasons. The birds are not accustomed to any positive human interaction. They probably don't even know it can be a positive to be held. It's new and intimidating.
You have to gain their trust before working on the stepping up.

Birds are perceptive to human emotion. If you - or anyone - is afraid of them, they could take advantage of that. The Amazon in my avatar is our Double Yellow Amazon, Wasabi. He is very headstrong. If I had a meek personality, he would no doubt try to boss me around. Wasabi will not let me handle him. He lets hubby handle him a little bit.

Last edited: