• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About vacation

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
I have had my sun conure since October of last year at 10 weeks old, and I am generally new to having a parrot (had budgies before). We get along great minus some bites here and there lol. But I have a question, this summer my family is having a big wedding in our back home country. Is it ok for me to go on vacation and leave my bird with someone else for 3 weeks?? Is this a horrible idea or ok? What are the repercussions that may happen? (Note: He has never really gotten along with strangers unless it's been a couple of days. He will then go on them and from there not sure because we don't have many visitors.) Thanks!

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Does this someone else have bird experience? Do they have birds of their own? Other pets? Small children?

There's a lot of things to consider when boarding your bird, whether in a private home or with a vet/boarding place.

Could this person instead stop by your home a couple times a day to feed, change water, change paper?

Is there time to get your bird accustomed to the person they'll be left in the care of?

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
Does this someone else have bird experience? Do they have birds of their own? Other pets? Small children?

There's a lot of things to consider when boarding your bird, whether in a private home or with a vet/boarding place.

Could this person instead stop by your home a couple times a day to feed, change water, change paper?

Is there time to get your bird accustomed to the person they'll be left in the care of?
They have a little bird experience, and do own birds (their son owns them and they play with them, etc.) No small children. I don't really have anyone to stop by at my place but I may be able to get my bird accustomed to the person. I am also worried if my bird will lose its bond with me, can this happen?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Your bird won't lose bond with you going on vacation for 3 weeks.

If you're going to leave him in the care of another house with birds, it would be a good idea to ensure the other birds - and yours - are healthy and have been recently seen by an avain vet.

Also set expectations and rules up front. Ask questions, provide direction.

Are you comfortable with their home? The safety aspects - smells, chemicals or cleaners, cookware, non bird pets?

These people's son plays with their birds. Are you going to allow them to also attempt play with yours?

Will they follow your routine? Or the routine with their own birds?

Where will they be kept in relation to the other bird's?

Are you OK to allow out of cage time in their home? With their bird?

I'm not suggesting you do or don't do any of these things, just points for thought.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it ok for me to go on vacation and leave my bird with someone else for 3 weeks?? Is this a horrible idea or ok? What are the repercussions that may happen? (Note: He has never really gotten along with strangers unless it's been a couple of days. He will then go on them and from there not sure because we don't have many visitors.) Thanks!
I went on holiday earlier in they year for for about 18 days leaving my birds in the care of my son his only experience being around birds is my two and one of them just attacks him if he walks into a room and she is out so this needed to be taken into account.

My preference was for my birds to remain at home as i felt both me and my wife not being about would be enough of change for them to deal with changing there surroundings would have added to this.

I prepared well in advance by doing the following -

I measured out both birds daily food portions into selaled bags 2 feeds per day they only got pellets for the duration of our holiday simplyfying things.

I made a load of small toys and bagged them up with some foot toys i had knocking about so there was a bag of toys that would be dropped into a spare food bowl daily so they had something new to play with daily.

I added some new hanging toys a few days before leaving i used toys that my birds had enjoyed before hoping they would get stuck into them to keep them occupied.

I made sure i had some of there favourite treats available Nutriberries they where given one daily as a treat ( and my thoughts if they werent bothering with there pellets they could eat nutriberries until my return )

I didnt put any paper on the bottom of the cage so any detritus would drop through and the grate was able to be cleaned from underneath to keep the bottom of the cage clean.

I left a list with daily routine to be checked of daily -

* Uncover birds
* change water
*feed pellets
*add toys
* turn radio on for the day
*change water
* feed pellets and nutriberri
* change water
* cover birds

The big compromise was the birds did not come out of there cage's for the duration of the holiday ( Mojo would just attack my son ) i would need to feel confident that the person caring for my birds would be able to manage any eventuality if they where out and this wasnt the case.

They have a little bird experience, and do own birds
Your birds would potentially have to be in a seperate room for the duration with QT protocols in place to ensure any disease your friends birds had were not passed on to your bird ( this is why my own home would always be my preferance if possibe )

I am also worried if my bird will lose its bond with me, can this happen?
Both of my birds where really pleased to see us both when we got home.

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
I went on holiday earlier in they year for for about 18 days leaving my birds in the care of my son his only experience being around birds is my two and one of them just attacks him if he walks into a room and she is out so this needed to be taken into account.

My preference was for my birds to remain at home as i felt both me and my wife not being about would be enough of change for them to deal with changing there surroundings would have added to this.

I prepared well in advance by doing the following -

I measured out both birds daily food portions into selaled bags 2 feeds per day they only got pellets for the duration of our holiday simplyfying things.

I made a load of small toys and bagged them up with some foot toys i had knocking about so there was a bag of toys that would be dropped into a spare food bowl daily so they had something new to play with daily.

I added some new hanging toys a few days before leaving i used toys that my birds had enjoyed before hoping they would get stuck into them to keep them occupied.

I made sure i had some of there favourite treats available Nutriberries they where given one daily as a treat ( and my thoughts if they werent bothering with there pellets they could eat nutriberries until my return )

I didnt put any paper on the bottom of the cage so any detritus would drop through and the grate was able to be cleaned from underneath to keep the bottom of the cage clean.

I left a list with daily routine to be checked of daily -

* Uncover birds
* change water
*feed pellets
*add toys
* turn radio on for the day
*change water
* feed pellets and nutriberri
* change water
* cover birds

The big compromise was the birds did not come out of there cage's for the duration of the holiday ( Mojo would just attack my son ) i would need to feel confident that the person caring for my birds would be able to manage any eventuality if they where out and this wasnt the case.

Your birds would potentially have to be in a seperate room for the duration with QT protocols in place to ensure any disease your friends birds had were not passed on to your bird ( this is why my own home would always be my preferance if possibe )

Both of my birds where really pleased to see us both when we got home.
Sorry about the late reply, but thank you so much for this info! It is really helpful