• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About the iguana

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello everyone ♥
One of the pets I wanted my whole life was a macaw and the other was an iguana.
It scares me a little that it is so big and difficult to maintain. And the biggest problem is my mom is afraid of the iguana. It may be a little difficult for me to convince her.:wacky:
I was wondering if you could share with me what you know about the care of iguanas?
Here I am fascinated by this iguana. IMG_20220302_160950.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I loved my Iguana I used to have about 15 years ago but ultimately I had to rehome him because even though I got the biggest enclosure I could for him he still needed so much more room and he was a crazy good escape artist. No matter how I escape proofed the cage he was constantly escaping.
He was sweet though and liked head scratches and he adore his dark leafy greens and peppers.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I loved my Iguana I used to have about 15 years ago but ultimately I had to rehome him because even though I got the biggest enclosure I could for him he still needed so much more room and he was a crazy good escape artist. No matter how I escape proofed the cage he was constantly escaping.
He was sweet though and liked head scratches and he adore his dark leafy greens and peppers.
I didn't know you had an iguana.♥
I guess it looks like I can't have it.
Because my mom says either me or iguana.
A difficult struggle awaits me to persuade my mother. :laugh:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't know you had an iguana.♥
I guess it looks like I can't have it.
Because my mom says either me or iguana.
A difficult struggle awaits me to persuade my mother. :laugh:
His name was Spike. Sadly I don't have any pics of him but he was a wonderful guy. I still think about him from time to time and hope he's happy.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I have permanent scars from a rather pissed off large adult male iguana.

Your mom and I would probably enjoy tea together.
My mother won. :laugh: :unsure1:
I decided to put off my iguana dream.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Aw. Maybe if you keep bugging her she’ll change her mind? Worked for me countless times. Just kept repeating it over and over ‘till she got annoyed. :rofl:
Oh yes, I'll keep begging until she's convinced. :laugh: I know my mom can't stand me eventually and will let me. But I don't know for sure when it will happen.:hilarious:

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Oh yes, I'll keep begging until she's convinced. :laugh: I know my mom can't stand me eventually and will let me. But I don't know for sure when it will happen.:hilarious:
Hmm… Depends. Took me a year to persuade her to get me hamster when I was younger.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hmm… Depends. Took me a year to persuade her to get me hamster when I was younger.
Yes, I think my mom and I are very attached to each other. :xflove:

• Love
Reactions: A.K

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My mother won. :laugh: :unsure1:
I decided to put off my iguana dream.
What about a smaller reptile that looks sorta like an iggy? Like a Chinese Water Dragon?

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
What about a smaller reptile that looks sorta like an iggy? Like a Chinese Water Dragon?
Actually, my mother is very afraid of reptiles and insects. It doesn't matter big or small. :hilarious: I'm just like my father, I'm not afraid of any animals. In fact, sometimes when my mother sees an insect in the house, she yells and calls me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Actually, my mother is very afraid of reptiles and insects. It doesn't matter big or small. :hilarious: I'm just like my father, I'm not afraid of any animals. In fact, sometimes when my mother sees an insect in the house, she yells and calls me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I nursed many dog or cat damaged lizards back to health and released them on my aunties farm (only if those particular ones already naturally lived on her farm) when I was a kid and I really loved watching the lizards so I always wanted one a little larger than I had already had. When I was old enough to consider keeping a reptile for a pet, I also had small children, one of them was terrified of spiders, many insects, snakes and was not really very comfortable with even cute little lizards like skinks or geckos- so I never got my reptile.... When you live with others you really do need to be fair and take into consideration how they will feel having that animal under the same roof they reside under.
You will be out on your own one day and maybe then is the time you should look into this more- don't stress poor mum out more than you have to! She will likely bend over backwards to keep you happy (that is what most mums do) but sometimes it is not fair to let her do that- I feel this might be one of those times if she is scared of these types of creatures.

I must say, from the few things you have shared about your family, they sound like the sweetest most supportive family anyone could wish for :)

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I nursed many dog or cat damaged lizards back to health and released them on my aunties farm (only if those particular ones already naturally lived on her farm) when I was a kid and I really loved watching the lizards so I always wanted one a little larger than I had already had. When I was old enough to consider keeping a reptile for a pet, I also had small children, one of them was terrified of spiders, many insects, snakes and was not really very comfortable with even cute little lizards like skinks or geckos- so I never got my reptile.... When you live with others you really do need to be fair and take into consideration how they will feel having that animal under the same roof they reside under.
You will be out on your own one day and maybe then is the time you should look into this more- don't stress poor mum out more than you have to! She will likely bend over backwards to keep you happy (that is what most mums do) but sometimes it is not fair to let her do that- I feel this might be one of those times if she is scared of these types of creatures.

I must say, from the few things you have shared about your family, they sound like the sweetest most supportive family anyone could wish for :)
Thank you. You are quite right
I always try to persuade my mother sweetly without offending. I can't do this to her if she really doesn't want to. She is very precious to me♥
Luckily, she loves Pasha and all the other feathered animals.:o:

Last edited:

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
I wouldn’t push it if she’s very afraid, but maybe you could take her to some sort of reptile store or facility that lets you see/interact with the animals? Some people get over their fear that way, but you definitely don’t want to force them if they’re not comfortable because that can make them even more afraid.

Also, I agree a smaller lizard like a bearded dragon might be a better pet if your mom ever changes her mind. If you really want an iguana, maybe look into rhinoceros iguana? Every iguana can have issues (especially in breeding season) but rhinoceros iguanas are known to be way more laidback than green iguanas.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Don’t push the iguana issue if you live with mom. They are huge and can be quite dangerous even when tame. Nearly no one in the reptile community recommends them for beginners or moderately experienced reptile keepers.

It’s something for you to take on when you have your own place and resources to care for one.

RainbowIon

Checking out the neighborhood
Even though your post is a year old, I just came across it and wanted to add my two cents. The desire for unique pets like macaws and iguanas is totally understandable; they're fascinating creatures!
Since you're interested in iguana care, you might find Pocket Pet Central really useful. While they focus more on small pets, they offer solid, researched advice on pet care that could help you build a persuasive case for your mom. Understanding the complexities and joys of pet care across different species can offer valuable insights.
By the way, if your mom is scared of iguanas, maybe you could start by introducing her to some more manageable reptiles?

Last edited by a moderator: