• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About the eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I am wondering when their eyes turn white? Forgive me if that's an idiotic question but its something hubby and I have been curious about lol.

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
Is it "pinning" that you're referring to? When the dark part of the eye retracts, sometimes rapidly, repeatedly?

This means the bird is interested in or excited by something. This can be both positive & negative. A bird might "pin at" a favorite food or a favorite person or when they're feeling threatened, alert & scared. In this case, it can be followed by a lunge or bite, so read other body language to determine if your specific birds pin when scared & feeling aggressive/defensive.

If you're talking about a different reaction, I'm not familiar...

& btw, CUTE Halloween signature!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks I could not have said it better on a blue and gold the white aroung the eye seams bigger when they ar penning if that makes since thanks for asking the question and hope this gives enough information:hug8:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
No, not the pinning, Einstein's eyes are not white at all, they are still brown. It seems on the older birds the eyes are white and the younger ones they are still dark. I could be wrong and it could just be an either/or thing.

And thanks Jacqi for the compliment on the siggy!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, not the pinning, Einstein's eyes are not white at all, they are still brown. It seems on the older birds the eyes are white and the younger ones they are still dark. I could be wrong and it could just be an either/or thing.
Hmm, I'm not sure when the eyes start to lighten, probably after a year, though. :shrug: I don't know, because I got Elvis as a 6-year-old. They don't get white, though; they are a very pale, light green. Or, at least, that's what color Elvis's are:

Attachments

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I have heard for eclectus it is around 2-3 years old. I would expect longer for a larger bird but maybe that is not the case. Just wanted to give you an idea

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The eyes turn white between 1 year and 1 1/2 year for macaws.

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
Awww the baby eyes are SO endearing, but the adult eyes are more coooool. :) I guess just takes lots of pictures & have the best of both worlds later on.

Holiday, great shot.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Lucy is 1.5 yrs and her eyes are starting to become that color pretty distinctly.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It will take 1-3 years to get the full "whitish: grey eye'd affect in macaws. For Gra she already had her white eyes when I got hewr at a year and a half.

However I do know a blue and gold who is 3 goign on 4, and he still has brownish/grey eyes, nto yet white. However when he was younger fromk young-2y.o he was severely neglected and fed only seed, and his feathers were blakc not blue, so that may be why its taking so long to get the lighter colored eyes.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Thanks everybody. I'm not in any hurry for them to change, but hubby and I were wondering. To me the white makes them look a bit more intimidating lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.